Hungry after gastric sleeve procedure

Rock409
on 8/22/12 3:13 pm
I'm six weeks post gastric sleeve procedure.  Lost 24 lbs., already, but have stopped losing for the past two weeks.  I seem to be hungry all the time.  I think I've gained 2 lbs.  I eat very little - I mean like 4 ounces and then I get full, but within an hour or so, I get hungry again.  Anybody out there experiencing similar symptoms?  I'm quite perplexed.  It is normal to be this hungry all the time?  It is normal to stop losing so quickly?  Help.
kamehanaokala
on 8/22/12 5:56 pm - HI
What does a typical day look like for you food wise?

Rock409
on 8/23/12 9:08 am
In the morning, a protein shake.  About two hours later, oatmeal (4 ounces) then I get hungry about an hour later - chicken, chicken and more chicken.  Sometimes at night if I'm out an about, I stop at Pollo loco and get a chicken taco.  Basically, protein, but I'm just hungry all the time.  Started working out today for the first time.  Let's see what happens.
(deactivated member)
on 8/22/12 8:54 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
I'm 10 weeks out and get hungry all the time too. I try to eat no more than 5 times in a day and they are very small meals. I think I usually end up around 700 calories for the day. At least now when I eat I do get full on a small amount of food.
Rock409
on 8/23/12 9:09 am
Are you losing consistently?  I lost 24 and it seems I'm at a plateau already.  It is supposed to plateau that fast?  I really need to lose 60 more pounds.  What are you eating?
Marioksig
on 8/22/12 9:00 pm - Santa Clara, CA
 Drink more water.... 
emelar
on 8/23/12 9:23 am - TX
1.  Ditch the oatmeal.  At 6 weeks, your focus should be on dense protein and some veggies, if you can fit them.

2.  Dehydration and stomach acid both feel like hunger.  Up your liquids and take an acid reducer/blocker.  If you're already taking one, you may want to up the dosage.

3.  I assume you're not drinking with your meals.  Try to avoid drinking for as long as possible after a meal.  The longer you don't drink, the longer you'll feel full.  Of course, you have to balance this against making sure you're getting enough fluid, but it can be done!

4.  HUNGER IS NOT AN EMERGENCY.  You know you'll eat again in an hour or two.  In the meantime, drink, chew gum, knit, exercise, whatever it takes to get your mind off of food.

And stalls are normal.  Stay off of the scale for a few weeks and stay on program.  The weight will come off.
Rock409
on 8/23/12 11:11 am
Thanks - your information is very helpful.  Will try and do.  Can you give me some examples of dense proteein - I'm pretty tired of chicken and fish.  What else?
emelar
on 8/23/12 9:37 am, edited 8/23/12 9:37 am - TX

Read this post by frisco on the functioning of the pyloric valve.  It explains why we eat dense protein first and why we don't drink with meals.

Chicken (solid, not chicken salad), beef, pork are all dense.  They take time to digest.  A beef steak is denser than ground beef.  Think of ground beef and chicken/tuna salad as being almost pre-digested.  They're already somewhat broken down, so they'll digest faster.

For me, tuna and salmon fillets are dense.  Most other fish/seafood is not.  That doesn't mean it's not all a good source of protein, but if you're trying to avoid the "hungries," dense is better. 

Not everyone has the same experiences with food, so you have to experiment.  Some folks find eggs to be dense.  They slide right through me.  Raw veggies will sit in my stomach for a long time.  Other folks, not so much.

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4508494/Frisco-Pyloric-Valve- Basics-101-re-post/

Rock409
on 8/24/12 10:37 am
Thanks - I read it.  very interesting.  Gonna start today. 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views