Running is my new addiction!!

Ms. Poker Face
on 8/25/12 8:03 am
I always day-dreamed about being a runner.  You know, you see pictures of runners and their bodies look so long and lean.  I tried many times in my life, but never got bit by the running bug.  Until now.  It's my new high.  Literally.  Runner's high.  I always thought it was a myth.  I'm here to tell you that it's real.

Now, I'm not fast and I don't run marathons.  But each runner needs to find their own stride.  Someone will always run faster.  Someone will always run longer.  Someone will always run more often.  But you find your own pace, mileage and frequency... and you go with it!

Just finished 8.5 miles and it was awesome (ok other than the last half mile where I felt so tired I thought I was going to collapse).  I'm training for a half marathon as long as my knees will let me get there.  We'll see.  Even if they don't hold up for 13.1 miles, I can still run lots of shorter mileage days and be the runner that's right for me!

So what's gonna be your new (healthy) addiction???

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

FloridaVSG
on 8/25/12 8:16 am - FL
VSG on 07/16/12
I'm trying to make running my addiction and have vowed to run a 5K every month... Inspiring read!
Pre-op/HW: 302- SW (7/16/2012): 296 lbs- GW: 160-150 lbs. Month 1: -32 lbs.- Month 2: -16 lbs.
www.theskinnygirlinsideofme.blogspot.com  

acbbrown
on 8/25/12 8:50 am - Granada Hills, CA
8.5 miles - that's CRAZY!!!   Makes me feel a little better about my 5 mile run tomorrow. But i totally get the *high*  (or is that the result of all the people smoking weed in their cars around here???)

Do you wear/use any kind of knee braces?  My knee is on the verge of bothering me, so I dont know if a brace might help. It might irritate me more to run with it on my leg.

I have a brilliant idea - we should run the Disneyworld Marathon in 2014 together - I dont think I'd ever be able to do the goofy challege (1/2 + full the next day) but...I might be crazy enough to do a full. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Ms. Poker Face
on 8/25/12 10:02 am
I've read up about the knee pain and have seen a PT.  Basically, I have runner's knee.  It's caused by any of the following: overpronation, flat feet, second toe being longer than the big toe.  Aaaand, I have all three, lucky me!!  It's basically your knee cap rubbing the wrong way on the tissue underneath.  Supposedly braces make it worse since it puts even more pressure on the rubbing.  Full orthotics can help but I haven't gone that route yet.  The P****ched my stride and said I rely too heavily on my knees and hips to do all the work.  My butt muscles are too weak because they should compensate for this, but don't.  So I gotta do some booty exercises (that look ridiculous) to strengthen my gluteus medius, specifically.

The Disney half sounds appealing but not the whole thing.  I think I'd die.

acbbrown
on 8/25/12 10:24 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Interesting on the knee thing......if mine gets any worse, I might see about PT.

Brazilian Butt Lift time!!!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

loverofcats
on 8/25/12 10:57 am
 Are you cross-training with any other activities? Weight training can help to strengthen the glutues and your whole body. Did you see the Sprinters in the Olympics, they all had muscles and all cross train with weights. The marathoners were long and lean. I drooled over the muscles that the track athletes had. I want some of that.

gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Ms. Poker Face
on 8/25/12 11:00 am
Yes, I bike and do strength training as my cross train activities.  The exercises the PT gave me fit well into my strength routine but I've only been doing them for about a week and a half.  So it should get better over time.  I found that I have really poor posture when I run, so I focus on having a straight back with a strong core.  It helps!

loverofcats
on 8/25/12 11:32 am
 The strength training should also help to strengthen your core, which will help with your running and posture. Your activities are awesome!!
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

tripmom02
on 8/25/12 1:35 pm - NJ
 Want to work your butt muscles, run in sand. No joke, me and my son did a mile yesterday on the beach and my ass muscles are on FIRE today! 

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Shagdoll
on 8/25/12 8:56 am
Staci, I just wanna tell you how awesome I think you are. I admire you motivation to just go out there & do it!
Luv ya!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Most Active