What are you thoughts on using protein shakes at 6, 9, 12 months out and more?

SleevedLife
on 8/26/12 3:22 pm
I've recently returned to focusing on protein shakes as my main food source. I LOVE it. It is very easy, i can get great daily numbers (calories/carbs/protein). I do have some veggies when I eat dinner with my family in the evening, but otherwise it is basically all protin shakes.

My weight loss has picked up, i have zero cravings, and i am even doing a better job of staying hydated.

Is there a downside to this approach that i'm not seeing? I wanted to push hard to make sure i make it to goal.

I could see one criticism being that i am not really learning how to eat for life. But i was on "normal" food before, taking maybe just a shake for breakfast.

I am going to email the nut monday, but i'd love to hear if anyone here used shakes heavily to help boost weight loss... Especially further out from surgery.

Thanks, everyone!!

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

Shagdoll
on 8/26/12 3:27 pm
I still love to drink 1 protein shake a day because it helps me reach my protein goals. It helps that I found a few that I love otherwise I'd be eating dense protein all day long.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

happyteacher
on 8/26/12 3:34 pm
 It is typical for me to have at least 1 a day, sometimes 2.  It is unusual to not have one.  I am 8 months out and at goal, and see the shake habit being a long term one.  Like you said, an easy breakfast with great stats- and i can have it in front of kids if I don't feel like eating first thing in the morning.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

acbbrown
on 8/26/12 3:53 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 I did almost all protein shakes for about 6 weeks a while back - it helped with my acid reflux issue and I definitely had less cravings/hunger then when I eat normal food. But, i got bored so I stopped. I still drink at least 1-2 shakes a day - helps with post-workout protein, and my sweet tooth without adding the sugar/cals/carbs of normal sweets (i use SF syrups). 

I dont know doing this for an extended period of time because you do need to eat a well rounded balance to get all of your necessary vitamins/minerals/amino acids, etc. 

Im pretty sure protein shakes will be a life style thing - I'm always amazed at people who just absolutely can't tolerate them for a second. I'd love to live off of them :-p

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Ms. Poker Face
on 8/26/12 4:10 pm
I still drink a protein shake most days because it's easy, I immediately get a bunch of protein and I kinda like it. It's become a (good) habit!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Airpun79
on 8/26/12 4:50 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Thank you for your post!  I was wondering the same thing because some days I don't have the hunger to eat any "real food".  I normally do a protein shake (Premier) for breakfast and dinner and eat some type of meat and salad (very small portion of course).

HW: 360      SW: 351             CW: 212         GOAL: 200 
Monthly Weight Loss Progression:
M1:-46 M2:-24 M3:-14 M4:-17 M5:-9 M6:-13 M7:-7 M8:-5  M9:-1 M10:-3 M11:-8 M12: -10

NanaDebby65
on 8/26/12 5:45 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
I'm 2.5 years post-op and I have 2 shakes a day. 1 with in an hour of waking up each morning due to low blood sugar issues and then 1 when I get home from work.

I love my shakes and I drink them with my nut's blessings. It has helped me up my calories in order to maintain because there is only so much we can eat in one day.

I am with Alison though. You really should try to focus on a well balanced diet and only use the shakes as needed. I agree they are very easy to fit into our daily totals and I love them but I just couldnt see myself doing mostly liquids for a long period of time. I like my food as well! :)
HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
Pobearsam7
on 8/26/12 6:15 pm
I'm only 2 months out and I plan on doing the shakes for a long time to reach my protein goal

Kelly                

sleevegirl
on 8/26/12 7:09 pm - Austin, TX
I hate them and I go back and forth with them. I've just come to accept them at this point, I think. I went for months without touching one. Part of the problem is that I'm allergic to soy and have a slight reaction to whey. That leaves very few options. I cannot stand the ones you mix and the ONLY ones I've found that I tolerate and don't send me looking for the Benedryl or epipen is the Pure Protein read to drink vanilla. I have one for breakfast 4-7 times per month and one at night very rarely if my protein numbers are super low.

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing it long term, gym rats live off of them.

But yeah, I wouldn't live off of them only... you're going to have to get comfortable with food again. You can do this. It's all about mindset. Definitely talk with the nutritionist.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Mom4Jazz
on 8/27/12 4:54 am
If you have a small blender, here's a lead for you...complete protein, all from vegetable sources, no soy.

http://www.sunwarrior.com/store/warriorblend.html
http://www.sunwarrior.com/store/rice-protein.html

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 34 views