Could use Encouragement
mrspetty · 6 replies · 115 views
Bridesmaid Dress Help!
Laura222 · 4 replies · 100 views

Protein Shakes

nmrudge
on 9/24/12 3:42 pm - IL
VSG on 12/10/12
I'm in the process of trying different protein shake brands and am currently using the chocolate Body Fortress Whey with skim milk.  I tried it with water but couldn't stand it.  Will I be able to continue to use it with milk when I am post-op?  I know I have to get in my daily water intake but I'm wondering about drinking milk post-op?  Has anyone else used milk for their shakes?
happiegirl
on 9/24/12 3:53 pm - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
Yup I use almond milk.  Your tastes might change after so you can't really say what's going to work for you after.  Things are so different for some people post op.

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

MaryContrary80
on 9/24/12 3:58 pm
VSG on 09/04/12
 I'm still drinking skim milk post op. I have had no issues. The only problem is that it's a lot of carbs, it has a lot of protein too though so it's kind of a toss up. Anyway, you can always do soy, lactose free or almond if you become lactose intolerant, but you just won't know until after surgery! PS, I also HATE protein shakes with water, totally gross! I can do it with coffee and a little bit of creamer though! 
Feystorm
on 9/24/12 4:26 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 Almond milk.  I use the SoDelicious Unsweetened Almond Plus Protein. :)

That is for just about every flavor, except the Nectar Carriabean Cooler or whatever the tropical fruity one is - that I use water and add fruity syrup to. 

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

Spankylou
on 9/24/12 9:40 am - TX
 I was on 2 weeks  Pre Op shakes.  My Dr. insisited on BariEssentials, is came in Vanilla and Chocolate.  It is expensive but I had no choice.  I used skim milk.  I think what made it really tollerable is, they gave us recipes to change them up.  Like the Sugar Free Syrups like you put in coffee like Davinici or Torini.  I ordered some on line.  Sugar Free Carmel, Butterscotch, Irish Cream, Vanilla, Peach, Strawberry, Cherry, they have alot of flavors.  I mixed 1 table spoon in with the shake and it was fabulous....  My Dr. allow the PB2, it is a powdered peanut butter ( you can order on line) 1 tablespoon in the chocolate was my favorite, then you can also use the flavor extracts.  I have to have variety and this helped tremendously.  Be sure to purchase a good blender, I got a Ninja and it is great.  Alot of people use the Bullet.  Good Luck!!!
rarejem
on 9/24/12 10:02 am - WA
VSG on 04/09/12 with
I limit my milk intake. Some days I do fine with it, others I don't.

I use unsweetened vanilla or chocolate almond milk. Fewer carbs than milk. Also, Blue Diamond has it in cartons that don't need refrigeration until opened.  Right now I'm dringing choc almond milk with Isopure 0 vanilla powder and about a tbls of decaf instant coffe. Being a Seattlite, I need my coffee even if it's decaf;)

HW:265, GW:165  CW: 164 Goal reached in 7 months.  

juddfan1974
on 9/24/12 10:24 am - TN
VSG on 07/02/12 with
My dr does not recommend milk post op.  For the first two weeks I used necter or unjury powder shake mix. Usually in a fruity flavor mixed with water and added crystal light mix and that made them much tastier.  After the first two weeks my dr's office recommended Preimer brand protein shakes that are in pre mixed carton.  They have 160 calories and 30 grams of protein and low carbs.  I still keep those in the fridge at home and work in case I am having a busy day and running behind on my protein.  I actually find them to be pretty tasty.

LeighAnne89
on 9/24/12 10:32 am - KY
 I can still drink milk but not very much. When you have your surgery your tastes will change things that are sweet now may be unbearably sweet after or that's the way it was for me. I use the same kind of protein that you do and what I like to do is put in a tablespoon of peanut butter and some ice in my ninja sometime I use water sometimes I use milk and sometimes I do half of each, and it tastes really good. I have tons of recipes for protein shakes so if you want to add me I would be more than happy to send you the recipes. I wish you lots of luck.

sandye1421
on 9/24/12 11:26 am - Alexandria, IN
I have no problem with using skim milk with my protein, but anything heavier than skim gives me a stomach ache. I use body fortress chocolate and vanilla. The vanilla in a bottle of water with a pkg of sugar free drink mix is pretty good. You just have to experiment to find what works for you.

Sandye1421   
21 lbs. lost pre-op

jennydemerice
on 9/24/12 11:26 am - Gonzales, LA
I love EAS Strawberry!
Jenn

toniosmom
on 9/24/12 11:36 am
Unjury chocolate is my favorite - add a tsp of PB2 and it tastes like a Reeses peanut butter cup.  Yum.  I mix it with skim milk.  For the first week after surgery, I was on clears, so I lived on broth, etc. with unflavored protein mix added to it.  The unflavored is not tasteless -- you know it's in there -- and after a while I was sick of it.  However, a week after surgery, I was cleared for full liquids, so I could have milk with my shakes again. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/12 11:54 am
 My NUT recommends drinking milk and other "protein liquids" between meals. Depending on if I'm hungry, I'll have plain skim milk (over the moon or simply smart are great because they have more protein) or I'll add that skim milk to a shake.
michael B.
on 9/24/12 12:08 pm - MA
VSG on 03/19/12 with
 Syntrax Cappuccino and Mint Cookie are awesome with milk/almond milk with ice in a blender!
Burnsy  (ticker starts 2wks pre op)