Question for runners/joggers - numb toes??

SleevedLife
on 10/16/12 11:33 pm
First, I can't believe I'm asking a question related to jogging.  Yes, me... I weigh 227 pounds and I freakin' JOG every day.  I love it.    I keep thinking of one of my favorite Homer Simpson phrases when I'm out there - "I'm a big fat dynamo!"  LOL!!  Really, though, I'm so pleased with how exercise has changed me.  It hasn't helped with weight loss, that I can tell, but it makes me feel good and strong.  It makes me feel so much more capable and confident in my skin. 

Anyway, my question is that my toes tend to get numb when I jog.  I will jog for 30-40 minutes at a time.  My pace is slow, but steady.  If I'm on a treadmill, it's around 5 mph.   I wear New Balance shoes, but I'm not sure what they are designed for.  I think they are walking shoes.  I've had them for a while...

Would you think this is due to poor technique? (Like maybe I'm runnning on my toes too much)  Poor footwear?  Or is it just all just part of being a big fat dynamo (like too much weight on my feet)?

Anyone with advice, I'm all ears.  I feel like I could go faster and longer if my toes weren't acting up.

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

belovedbty83
on 10/16/12 11:46 pm - PA
This happens to me all the time.  It doesn't matter if I am on the treadmill, eliptical, or out in the street.  My feet always go numb starting with my toes.  I am in the process of working with my doctor because he believes it is poor circulation.  I tried a couple different kinds of shoes, socks, ect.  Nothing works so hopeful I to will be able to exercise soon and still be able to feel my feet in the end.
Gigicolorado
on 10/17/12 12:29 am
I am a runner and I can tell you when my toes get numb it is the shoes. You may have them laced too tight or they are not the correct width for your toes. Go get yourself some running shoes....I like Brooks, that have a good spread for your toes.
akr9911
on 10/17/12 12:55 am
VSG on 06/20/13
It's the shoes. I switched to asymetrical laces and it really really helped a lot. Go to a running store and have them fit you. It's worth it.

HW 259 SW 251 CW 217 M1-20.5 M2 -7.5 M3 -4 M4 -2

SleevedLife
on 10/17/12 1:14 am
Thanks, guys...  I'll look into some new shoes.   These don't feel too narrow.  I have kind of long and narrow feet, but maybe my toes are spread out wider than the rest of my foot (proportionally). 

I've never gone a running store.  I wonder if they would even open the door for me there, because I don't look like a "runner"!!   I tend to buy all my shoes at Zappos. ;)

Nutshell:

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

sarytyr
on 10/17/12 1:42 am - Round Rock, TX
VSG on 02/17/11 with
Go get fitted - you won't regret it!  They should watch you run,walk, and stand. Some places even have treadmills to evaluate your stride. They should spend a good amount of time finding the right shoe for you - if they don't then go to another running store. Ask them about alternate lacing strategies as well as proper socks.  Good luck and keep up the good work!

~*Sandy*~ Ht 5'7" HW 262/SW 254/GW 160/CW 155

rhearob
on 10/17/12 2:31 am - TN

This could be a couple of things.  Heres my advice:

1.  First invest money in a really good pair of running shoes that pit you perfectly.  If you have one of those places that will custom fit you - its worth it.  Running when heavy can put a lot of stress on your joints - even on a treadmill - and you want to reduce that as much as possible.  Don't be shy of spending more than 100 on these.  Walking shoes or cross trainers may not provide what you need right now.  Get running shoes and only use them for running.  You may have to buy two pair a year.

2.  Make sure you have all of the right compression garments.  Swinging skin and fat can throw you off balance and increase the pressure on your joints - especially hip muscles in my case.  When you run make sure that your stomach and thighs are not bouncing up and down excessively when you run.  As you lose you will go through these garments fairly quickly.

3.  Check with your PCP.  If you were an out of control diabetic like I was you may have some neuropathy.  IT won't correct but your exercise and weight loss will keep it from going further.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

SleevedLife
on 10/17/12 2:58 am
Thanks!

Number 2 is really interesting to me.  I was just complaining the other day about how much the sides of my torso ache after jogging (as much as my calves and feet, but it didn't make as much sense) and wondering if it was all the fat and loose skin bouncing around that was  causing this ache.  I should check out some compression garments for exercise because what you said totally makes sense.

I will look into running shoes.  I was never diabetic, but I did have insulin resistance at my highest weight.  I have no idea if similar damage can be done with IR as with diabetes.

Nutshell:

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

Ms Shell
on 10/17/12 3:07 am - Hawthorne, CA
I get my running/walking shoes from a store called Road Runner I  them.  Since I was 300...they have a treadmill and other stuff to help size you =)  Also your running shoes should be 1/2 to 1 size larger because your feel swell while running.

MS Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

TSinNC
on 10/17/12 8:52 am
VSG on 08/16/12
 I had this problem sporadically until I treated myself to some new, professionally fitted, shoes. Now no numbness. 

I do need to figure out where to get high compression garments in my size. So far I can't find any that have heavy-duty running compression large enough for me. 

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views