INSURANCE FOR PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS (INCLUDING BARIATRIC SURGERY!!!)

JoyeuxNoel
on 10/26/12 7:22 pm

Hello! Omg. Stumbled across this today because I'm dealing with COBRA right now...

Anyway - listen, somebody needs to fact check this because it seems too good to be true - but if it is true this could help a LOT of people!!! I know I struggled for 3 years to get insurance that would cover a sleeve and then another year fighting em to cover it once I *had* insurance...so I know the heartache of that fight.

Anyway, here's my understanding. The government has passed "Obamacare" (not a political discussion, so please, let's not go there) which has a provision that says that in 2013 when everything is fully implemented, insurance companies will no longer be able to deny people coverage for pre-existing conditions.

IN THE MEANTIME - the government has created a temporary solution for people with pre-existing conditions that allows them to get insurance until the new Obamacare rules kick in.

This insurance COVERS WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY!!! 

Am I crazy? Am I reading this wrong???

Here's the website:

https://pcip.gov/Default.html

Here's the .pdf for what is covered and what's not - check page 39:

http://www.pciplan.com/forms/pdfs/2012Brochure.pdf

OMG.   I hope I'm not getting people's hopes up with this...need fact-checkers here!    I sincerely hope this is right and helps people.    
"I never look back darling, it distracts from the now."      
lucy2e
on 10/27/12 12:47 am - Laurel, MD

My guess would be just because they cover bariatric surgery - they would not have to cover all bariatric surgery.  So they would maybe only cover RNY and band.

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

hollykim
on 10/27/12 11:55 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

you are not completely wrong but not exactly completely right either.

There are still criteria an individual has to meet to be eligible for the insurance pool:

1. have to have a preexisting condition for which you were TURNED DOWN for coverage by a private insurance co  within the last 6 months.An individual can't just call up and say I want to buy this coverage,you know?It does,however,appear to cover WLS,but you have to meet the other requirement first.

Sally1254
on 4/18/13 10:22 am

Hi JoyeuxNoel!  Just wondering how you ended up getting on with this?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views