Is it possible my "panni" is causing my back pain?

SleevedLife
on 11/17/12 2:01 am

For the last couple of weeks my exercise has been impaired due to lower back pain.  I never ever thought the cause could be my panni until my husband (gently, so as not to get slapped) said "you are carrying a disproportionate amount of weight in your lower gut, that's probably giving you back pain."    

I thought lower back pain with a panni was something that only happened if you had a really really big and heavy panni.  But I don't... well... OK, it's fairly big, but not hanging to my knees big.  You can't see my private woman bits when standing.  So it does hang down low.  It is certainly where I have the most fat and skin right now.

Could a PS take off my panni to help me exercise and move better, and then wait and do the more "aesthetic" plastic surgery once I'm at goal weight?   Is that type of thing done at my weight (currently close to 215 lbs -- down from 360) Anyone have any experience with this?

In the meantime, any tips of minimizing this back pain?  I've had to sleep sitting up all week just so I don't wake up in pain.  I've never had to deal with this kind of back pain before and I really want to get back up to full speed with exercising soon!   It's so frustrating.  I'm still exercising daily, but the workouts are more "gentle".  :(

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

mickeymantle
on 11/17/12 2:08 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

try swimming great exercise and the weight and panni will not be a issue

SuzyNZ
on 11/17/12 2:09 am
VSG on 09/17/12
I can't imagine a panni as you describe would be heavy enough to be causing serious back issues, you may have just tweaked your back, or sciatic. I would go and see a chiropractor.

I love mine! He fixes me when Im broken!

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/17/12 3:00 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
The weight of mine definitely aggravates my sciatica, so I wouldn't be surprised if yours was bothering your back. You could talk to a PS now, but having the panni done now could get in the way of having any insurance coverage toward a full tuck later, and you may find (as I'm hoping to) that all you need at goal is the panniculectomy. Having it done then would give much better results.

Anywho - as to exercise now. I do aquasize 3 days a week, walk on my treadmill when I'm not feeling too lazy, and am considering buying myself a rower. Rowing gives a great full body workout without issues of a floppy belly getting in the way. (and mine is *very* floppy)

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

mickeymantle
on 11/17/12 3:08 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

don't they sell some kind of band thats used to hold bandages on that is also used to hold panni in place?

Hislady
on 11/17/12 4:49 am - Vancouver, WA

I would try a chiroprator but a panni wouldn't but a panni now would also be an option. I've read of people who have had their pannis removed during weight loss and then getting a tummy tuck later after reaching goal. Your insurance may very well pay for the panni removal especially if it causes rashes or infections too.  Now very few insurances will cover a full tummy tuck as that is considered cosmetic but the panni removal can be a medical necesity. I'm sure if you tell the surgeon that you plan a TT later they can make sure it is done "neatly" so a TT can be done later.

Your center of balance also changes greatly as you lose weight and that too can cause serious back pain. I find icy hot does wonders for my back muscle pain. You might start just by seeing your primary doc or like others have said a chiropractor, they can really do wonders!

LilSleeved
on 11/17/12 7:56 pm, edited 11/17/12 7:58 pm

My panni weighed 19lbs - I was living on Aleve and my PCP told me to have it removed because I couldn't live on NSAIDS forever.  My starting weight was 488 and I had lost 270 with the LapBand. 

I did it for mobility and chronic back pain and I had no regrets! 

Consult with a ps.  But remember you may have to have a revision later and a panni removal (which I decided against and got a TT) is something that leaves you looking a little odd since it is removal of the panni only and nothing more. 

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 57 views