So does it grow back eventually?

June W.
on 11/28/12 12:23 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/12/12

I know there have been many thread about hair loss. I'm not complaining about it. I knew it would happen and I'm prepared for it. I just wanted to find out from some vets whether or not the loss is permanent or if they got their hair back eventually. I'l appreciate any input on this topic! kiss

MomofMarch
on 11/28/12 12:25 am - GA

Yes it will! In fact, my friend (RNY) said that her hair grew back in healthier than ever. She had thyroid issues and other problems that dried her hair out. She lost her hair fairly quickly. It didn't all come out at once, but it became thinner. She moved away before I could see her hit her goal weight. She said once she started to maintain, her hair came back shiny and healthy.

June W.
on 11/28/12 12:30 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/12/12

Thank you so much for giving me hope! 

MomofMarch
on 11/28/12 12:34 am - GA

No problem! Also, try taking Bioten. My nutritionist/dietician told me to take 300-500 mg of it a day (if I can stomach it). It won't prevent the hair loss, but it sure will come back pretty! lol

PrettyEyes_41
on 11/28/12 12:34 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12

I'm 5 1/2 months out and have seen very minimal hair loss. My doctor put us on Zinc 28mg starting 2 months before surgery to help reduce hair loss. It really helped me.

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

pknorr2
on 11/28/12 2:16 am - CA

Mine is falling out seemingly by the handfuls right now.  I had cut it short in preparation, but it still surprises me just how much hair I'm shedding...my mom has even commented on the hair line changing in pictures, but i haven't read anything that says people stay thinned out.  :)

hwag5149
on 11/29/12 6:24 am

The type of hair loss we get is telogen effluvium which means there is either a shock to our system or something lacking in our bodies that causes a lot of our hair to go into the resting phase at once so they fall out. If whatever the trigger is eliminated, your hair will grow back just fine. So let's say your hair is falling out because of anesthesia. In about 3 months the first few hairs that fell out will start growing back. If they're falling out due to an iron deficiency or malnourishment (sp) and you haven't fixed the problem then the hairs that fell out 3 months ago will start to grow back but you will continue to lose hair and have chronic telogen effluvium until the problem is fixed. There are types of hair loss that don't grow back but those have to do with hormones, auto immune disorders and physically damaging your hair follicles.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Most Active