Slow losers from the very beginning...where are you?

D. Scott
on 12/6/12 3:11 am
RNY with

So I know all about stalls and all but I am so frustrated with super slow losing from the get go. I was super happy for the 9 lbs I lost preop but that was only after a nearly two week liquid diet and bowel cleanse. Tomorrow however will make 2 weeks post op on full liquids. I'm at around 450-600 calories per day. I lost 3lbs the first week (3 days of that with a combined total of 400 calories for the whole 3 days) and now just 1lb the second week. I just started exercising yesterday but I have been super active all along. I was back to work 4 days post op with stairs I go up and down all day (my point being I am moving and not sedentary). I just dont get it. I hear everyone call this honeymoon stage where youll lose no matter what but its just not happening. Please tell me Im not alone.

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

AnnieinIA
on 12/6/12 3:27 am
Sarah, you are not alone. I am nearly 3 months out and the loss has been slow from the beginning - and for me will continue to be no doubt. I adhere to the program 100% so I don't have to torture myself with - is it my own doing? I know it isn't.

I wish the best for you.

Annie
PS - I spent most of my life in Lancaster (now in Iowa) so consider you a home girl. :0)
angiagee
on 12/6/12 3:57 am
VSG on 09/11/12

I am in Iowa!!

Where at in Iowa and who was your surgeon? :)

D. Scott
on 12/6/12 8:44 am
RNY with

Thanks for responding, and you're right, when you were in Lancaster we were pretty darned close. It feels good to know its not just me, otherwise I might be racking my brain trying to figure out what I could be doing better

melly37
on 12/6/12 3:42 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12

Hi Sarah,

I don't know how long you had your LapBand and how much you lost with it.  I too, am a revision and it's been hard for me.  I know PART of it is ME.  I fully own up to that.  My eating choices have not been stellar.  My band kept me from eating so many things, that I kind of went crazy. 

I think another part of my slow progress is that my body was used to dealing with such small portions of food, after living with the band for 4 years.  It wasn't any shock to my metabolism to only consume 2 oz of meat and a few bites of veggies in one meal.  There are plenty of revisions on this board that have lost a LOT of weight and accepted no excuses.  So, I am not saying slow weight loss IS always due to being a revision, especially in my case.  I do think it is a small factor. 

I hope things start getting better for you.....it's very hard to stay on track with food when there is no reward of lost pounds.  Keep your head in the game, it WILL happen!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

D. Scott
on 12/6/12 8:48 am
RNY with

I had my lap band almost 4 years, but it was only functional 18 months of that time. During those 18 months though I lost 75 lbs and was really happy. I do think those first couple of years when my lapband was unfilled I had the same experience you are reporting. As in my body was so used to just a few ounces of food for so long that once I was unfilled I couldnt lose no matter what I did. All in all I was a slow loser with the band too, but I never existed on so few calories as I am now so I suppose I thought this would be faster. Thanks for the support!

tara3103
on 12/6/12 3:46 am
VSG on 11/13/12

I'm right there with you....I was sleeved on 11/13.  I lost 17 lbs the first week (all water from surgery mostly) and then 1 lb week 2 and 1 lb week 3.  I have been completely frustrated, but am trying to keep an open mind.  I am trying my hardest to get all the fluid in...protein is 60-80 g and carbs are less than 60 (usually 40-45).  I have been working out mildly due to an incision opening up...had to wait for clearance to go hard.  Our bodies are adjusting to a major diet change.  It feels like its starving since we aren't taking in many calories, therefore, its hoarding whatever is coming in.  I have been told to try to increase calories a little so you body feels more comfortable.  Make sure you get all your liquid and protein in and keep at it!  I didn't lose anything before the surgery and expected a big loss the first 4 weeks, but thats just how things go.  It took 25 years to put it on...I'm okay with waiting a little longer to get it off.  Good luck!!!

D. Scott
on 12/6/12 8:49 am
RNY with

Ouch ouch ouch on the incision opening up. I hope you got that all taken care of. Thanks for responding. I needed the added support today so I felt less alone after reading responses here.

edelu
on 12/6/12 3:49 am, edited 12/6/12 4:05 am - los angeles, CA

You are not alone but you are early in deciding you are a slow loser.  Give it another 6 weeks and then see.  I lost 8lbs the first 6 weeks, and 8 the following six and what it has amounted to is 5lbs a month every month.  I didn't have that much to lose 70lbs but 16 months later I'm still 5lbs to goal.  It's tough going but it's the hand i was dealt and while i have railed and been incredibly frustrated at times, even going down to 400 cals a day, the weight loss has stayed the same.  It's what it is. I too lost well on the pre-op diet and found it was no indication of after wls. 

Your body may not like all liquids, it might do better with purees, or solids so i would say give it a minute (easier said than done, I know) all you can do is follow your plan and see where it leads you.  Good luck. 

I just read Melly's response above and wanted to add i didn't know you were a revision.  I'm a lapband revision also and although i am completely compliant i spent 2 years eating next to nothing so yes, doing the sleeve diet was not a shock to my metabolism and i truly ruined it with my band.  My band worked wonderfully in terms of weight loss  but it did screw my metabolism,   There are some revisions on here who did wonderfully but they are mostly (not all) folks who didn't lose much weight with the lapband.

D. Scott
on 12/6/12 8:53 am
RNY with

I truly hate what the lapband did to my metabolism and its interesting to hear other revision tales of slower weight loss after getting sleeved. Imagine not having this secondary tool. I know the last two years after my lapband stopped working have been devastating regaining no matter how much I dieted or exercised. I am hoping for this second chance even though it looks like it will be a long haul (maybe). Thanks for responding.

Most Active