Traveling with protein shakes?

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 12/17/12 10:16 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

Hi all...I am going on a cruise next week and I can't decide what to do about my protein shakes.  I need to drink one every day if I want to make the 80g of protein.  I'm looking at either packing 7 ready mix shakes or at pre-packaging 7 small baggies with the pre-measured powder.  I think the baggies would make more sense and take up way less room but I'm wondering if there is a particular reason why the powders are packed in such large containers? They seem to be packed in container large enough to hold as much air as product...so I wonder if it has something to do with the preserving of the powder?

Seems like such a stupid question I know...

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

mimij
on 12/17/12 10:29 pm - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I would pack baggies with powder. If you have time, there are places you can order sample packets that would be one single serving-mybariatricpantry.com, tryabouttime.com, syntrax.com. Good thinking on planning for this. I commend you.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Italian-Princess
on 12/17/12 11:23 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

I'm traveling next month and again in February.  I was going to do the snack size ziplock bags each with a scoop of my protein powder.  But EliseG posted yesterday that Syntrax had a coupon for 40% off, so I ordered "grab and go" packs of protein powder.  They are probably better sealed, too.  I don't know if the coupon will work today, but it was Christmas40.  You might not have enough time to order and receive them in time for your trip, but it's something to look into.

I doubt there is any reason the powders are put in large tubs for any other reason than they can sell them easily that way. 

Bon Voyage!!!

Ree

stephanieplum
on 12/17/12 11:40 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

If you like protein coffee...Chike has one in individual packets.  And, they ship very quickly!!!  Very handy!  Have fun!

Keith L.
on 12/17/12 11:52 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I can tell you there is nothing on the ships so definitely take it with you. If you are going to do powder, I would suggest little baggies although you may get a question or two when they x-ray your baggage it takes up less room than a container.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

MuttLover
on 12/17/12 11:56 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

I would check the TSA site about what kinds of unlabeled powders can get through security at airports. I suggest getting the individual serving packets -- some Vitamin Shoppes also carry them.  Or taking RTD cartons, which are sealed.  I'd hate to see you get to security and the powders get trashed.  Especially anything white!

If you are just driving to the cruise port or putting them in your checked luggage, the powders won't be a problem. 

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/12 12:10 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

For me toting it in something I can also drink it in works best.  In *theory* just toting a sack of protein works, but in practice, this has worked best for me for all these years.  If I HAVE to do with one cup and baggies, then its fine and I havent ever gotten the shake down, not even going out of the country. 

Its just handy to toss 3 in my purse/bag and then I can think, hey, shake time, add water, shake, drink, ,screw top back on, and not have to find something to drink it in, is it lumpy, have I spilled it, yaddayadda.

*no, I dont think there is a particular reason why there is so much extra room in the containers.  Probably before gravity got to it, the powders took up more space*

My typical hemp/Starkist LemonDill Marinated Tuna and protein shake layer of vacation.  :}

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views