Success with Lap Band Revision to VSG?

ButterflyAna
on 2/6/13 3:28 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
I had my first band placed on 4-15-08 had a slip and a port filp within 8 months. Had it replaced on 1-11-11 then had another port filp repair March 2011. I lost my orginal 80 lbs no more. I have stayed the same. I have skin issues so I tried to get the pannis removed but the ins is denying because I have not lost 100 pounds from date of surgery. I have lost over 120 from my highest weight but who cares. Anyway the ins wants me to do a revision to the VSG. I meet with my surgeon next week to discuss.
Do any of yo have anything you would like to share.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

gorditabonita
on 2/6/13 5:05 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

Hi there! I am a band to sleeve patient and so far, it's been great. I had LapBand surgery in 2007, however, by 2012 I had to have it removed due to several complications. I lost almost 90 pounds with my band and maintained at around 75 lbs down - in short, I loved my band and I considered it a success. I have had the sleeve for about 2 weeks and I really like it. The restriction is great and it starts from day one, unlike the band where I had to wait for fills. Honestly, I think with my sleeve that I can finally make it to goal this time.

Good luck with everything! There are a bunch of us band2sleeve patients and many have really had a lot of success.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

ButterflyAna
on 2/6/13 5:33 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
I am glad you are doing well but I have a few questions if you don't mind. Did you have alot of scar tissue? How was your recovery?

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

gorditabonita
on 2/6/13 11:03 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

Yes, I had a lot of adhesion from my band and scar tissue. The removal was very painful and the recovery difficult. However, the sleeve surgery was much easier - very little pain. The only complication I had was developing pneumonia after the intubation.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

ButterflyAna
on 2/7/13 6:01 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
Did you gain any weight while the band was out, before having the VSG revision? I have had a lot of complications with my band and refuse to let any of it be in vain. I have lost over 120 pounds but only 80 from day of surgery but I have fought for each of those pounds and refuse to gain even one pound back.

gorditabonita
on 2/7/13 9:11 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

I lost of total of 90lbs with my band, and maintained a loss of 75 pounds over the 5 years that I had the band. Unfortunately, I gained 35 pounds once I had my band out in August until the beginning of January, when I started my pre-op diet. I completely understand where you are coming from - I begged my dr to do both surgeries in one procedure. But, he is totally against that because he believes it increases the rate of complications and it requires a more difficult recovery.

As of today, I have lost 25 pounds (of those 35 pounds) in a little less than a month. I was talking to my dr about the gain after my band just yesterday, and she told me not to focus on that....just focus on the loss and that I have taken back control of the situation.

I have seen a lot of people who did not gain after they lost the band, though. So, it can be done. It will be difficult, but (if necessary) you can do it too!  

jenlaur1
on 2/6/13 5:14 am - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

I got my band in in May 2005.  Had my last fill in June 2008...by that point I was about 220 something (my pre surgery weight was 263).  I pretty much have stayed at that..bouncing all over the 220's.  In the spring of 2011 I started having a lot of heartburn, so I was given a prescription.  Then I started waking up choking on whatever I'd eaten for dinner the night before.  As much as 5 times a week I'd say.  I finally went to see a different surgeon (one that was closer to me..really..the doc is only 5 mins away from me..ten if you include the walk from the valet to the waiting room..lol).  he told me a lot of his band patients were coming back because of complications of one kind or another.  That they were being converted to either the RNY or the VSG.  I did my research on both and decided to do the VSG because I didn't like the malabsorption issues and the dumping issues you'd have with the RNY.  To me, the VSG is like the band...in restriction but I like that I won't have this thing inside of me anymore. When I met with hi the first time, he took all my fill out..I haven't had any choking since then but I am hungry a lot.  It's been real difficult not to eat quickly or a lot  or badly when I feel those hunger pains.  I've been advised not to gain much if any weight, but because I'm in the 220's..I really can't lose a lot of weight either, before I have surgery because then the BMI will be on the lower end of things.  I do have diabetes..so the co morbidity thing is there, but you never know with insurance companies I guess.   I have met with my surgeon twice and I've met with the psychologist and nutritionist.  I'm starting my pre surgery classes again tomorrow (one a week, for two hours each, this month).  Because I'd gotten my band at another  hospital and it's been so long..I have to repeat the whole process that I did with the band.  I think, next month, I'll meet with the psychologist and nutritionist again and then the surgeon again..and then I can schedule my surgery for sometime in April!!  

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

ButterflyAna
on 2/6/13 5:39 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
Are you having your band removed and the sleeve done the same day or do you have to have two seperate surgeries? I will not remove my band without something else in it's place. My Ins told me that I do not have to start all over because I have already been there and done that.

grannymedic1
on 2/6/13 7:10 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I got my band in May of 2010 and lost all my weight in 5 months (64 lbs) I did pretty good in maintenance and really loved the thing. Unfortunately I began to have trouble being too tight last spring and a complete unfill didn't resolve the issues. I revised to the vsg in Aug. and other than a rough start I like it.

As for scar tissue I didn't have any but others have had a lot. There is no way to tell in advance. If your surgeon agrees to do the revision in one process you can do that. Some surgeons will not do the revision the day they remove the band. It does make healing a little easier but it isn't too bad anyway. Get your revision if you choose then stick with the plan tightly. Good luck

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Most Active