Protein powder tearing tummy up

Julie J.
on 3/11/13 4:36 pm - NV

I have started sampling protein powders to see which flavors I like before I get approved for surgery. I have been using Unjury so far. It is giving me blowout diarrhea and gas cramps (I know, I know...TMI). Is it the dairy or is it the protein powder? I cannot do soy and the vegan substitutes are a fortune. I have some other whey protein isolate proteins coming in (Which I ordered before I knew the Unjury was going to bother me). I just don't know what to do. Some advice would be appreciated.

MacMadame
on 3/11/13 5:44 pm - Northern, CA

It's not a good idea to try protein powder before surgery to see which ones you like. That's because after surgery you go into ketosis and your tastes change. Stuff you liked before now tastes too sweet or too salty or not sweet enough.

Just buy a lot of samples of everything and set them aside until you have your surgery.

Get get some whey, get some with different kinds of sweeteners. Get some that are lactose free. Get some made with egg protein. Just because Unjury bothers you doesn't mean all whey will bother you. It could be any ingredient in there. So get different kinds but only 1 or 2 servings of each and wait until surgery.

Some good places to get samples:

vitalady.com (She sells samples of every protein she sells)

Chike Nutrition (they have a sample pack)

netrition.com (they have a number of sample deals)

Syntrax (they also have a sample pack)

You can also do a protein exchange with people here. You could probably find someone who loves Unjury (NOT ME. I hate Unjury) who has something sitting around they bought that they hate that would trade.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Sleeveless
on 3/11/13 6:21 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

Yes, do try J Robb, which has egg protein. If it doesn't upset your intestines now, it probably won't after surgery. You can get it at GNC.

Julie J.
on 3/11/13 6:30 pm - NV

Thank you so much for the info. Honestly, at this point, it is not the flavor I am concerned about. It is the blow-out diarrhea and what is causing it.

mary d
on 3/11/13 10:59 pm

If you are lactose intolerant, whey protein powders can give you the same symptoms as milk.  This can even get worse after surgery.  Discuss this with your nutritionist and see if they have any alternatives.  I just progressed to soft foods quickly and avoided the protein powders.  You may be able to tolerated yogurt better than protein powders.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

amanina
on 3/12/13 12:34 am
VSG on 03/13/13 with

I was having the exact same problem.  I tried about 4 different brands of protein powders.  I tried them with skim milk, soy milk, silk and then just plain water; but was still having the same problem.  My nutritionist suggested that I might have a milk allergy and that the whey protein could be making me sick since whey is derived from milk and that I might have to try an egg-based product.  I ordered some samples of the Jay Robb egg white protein powder before I realized that they contain xylitol which I am allergic to.  I searched and searched over the internet for another answer to my problem, and I did find something that seems to have helped.  I was drinking (or trying to drink) protein shakes that had 45+ grams of protein in one shake.  It was suggested that a lot of people can't handle that amount of protein at one time.  So, I just cut the amount of protein powder in half per shake and my problem seems to have gone away.  I no longer have the diarrhea and gas pains.  I hope this helps. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views