Dilema...to eat or not to eat?

SleeplessinAbitibi
on 3/11/13 10:05 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/23/12

I use my fitness pal.  Great tool and it really makes me see quickly what's worth the carbs or not (its all about carb selection for me).  So I often just go ahead and fill up my entire day advance then life takes over and I'll run later for my meals or get busy driving my teenager to one of his umpteenth sport activity...and I'm faced with a choice or either having a late snack (greek yogurt) or ending the day under my protein goal.  I was faced with this decision last night and decided to just go to bed with 70g of protein instead of 80g ingested.  What's the best decision here? Do I get the protein in with a late snack or do I just give it a pass?  I past on the yogurt last night but I'm just not sure what is the best approach? Thoughts?  All other numbers were low...cal, fat, carbs, etc

Nathalie

“Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” 

MomofMarch
on 3/11/13 10:17 pm - GA

Is there any way you can carry a protein shake for on the go? I keep jerky in my car (I measure out 1-2 oz and put them in baggies) and protein shakes in the door of my fridge so I can just grab and go. Sometimes, by the end of the day, I am so exhausted that I just hit the sack without hitting my 80-90g. I do end up feeling the effects of it, though. I get really tired and cranky. Try to schedule your meal times a little bit earlier. (Easier said than done, I have an 8 year old and a 2 year old, so I KNOW how it goes! lol)

You can do this, it just takes some readjustment.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

MuttLover
on 3/11/13 10:44 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

Having protein snacks in the car is the way to go! That's a choice that is more likely to support your weight loss in the long run.

Or making sure you are driving by a market where you can pick up something -- yogurt or even a couple of slices of meat from the deli counter or salad bar, etc.

I've found that if I eat anything too late, I have a bit of reflux during the night (even with PPIs), so I try to avoid later meals.

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Marley M.
on 3/11/13 10:55 pm - Brooklyn, NY
VSG on 07/19/12 with

I second the jerky in the car.  BJ's and Costco sells the individual bags in 1 oz.  They are great for emergencies and its 100 cals for 18 grams of protein.

HW 316 SW 310 GW 170-175                    

Deckeriv
on 3/11/13 11:08 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Getting some protein in late is good for your metabolism. You body will continue on to digest while you are sleeping instead of shutting down for sleep. Nothing like burning calories while  your eyes are closed.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Nancybefree
on 3/11/13 11:22 pm, edited 3/11/13 11:23 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

Some portable protein suggestions:

RTD protein shakes or water bottles with pre-measured protein powder packets (purchased or home-prepared).  They might not be cold, but they're drinkable, especially if you use a Blender Bottle-type container for the water.

3 oz cans of Swanson canned chicken  (pop-top convenience) and some plastic spoons

Invest in a small insulated food container (like a small lunch bag) and some small freezer packs.  Throw reduced-fat string cheese sticks, a container of Greek yogurt, deli ham/turkey, or other refrigerated allowed protein into the insulated carrier with a freezer pack and a fork or spoon as needed.  I do that with my string cheese, and it works like a charm and keeps them cold and edible for hours.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Most Active