Am I the only one who has had this VSG surgery done 2X's (hope not)?

frisco
on 3/29/13 1:32 pm

I'm gonna just chime in on one part of your post just to back you up a bit......

First, I'm glad you were/are diligent in getting your situation worked out.

The major component to the VSG as it is known is that it is a restrictive type procedure. Restriction playing a major role in weight control. If you don't have the proper restriction to keep you in the window..... it is harder.

The obvious thing here to me is that your sleeve was to big...... if you had enough tissue to be cut/stapled a second time.....your sleeve was to big......

The other obvious thing is that if the same surgeon who made your 36 re-cut you to a 32..... you had significant stretch which is basically from over eating.

A proper 32f starts out with about a 2oz. capacity and matures to approx double it's size 4oz. A bougie 10 numbers higher (42f) can end up 4x the capacity of a 32f. think 12-16oz. Many on this board with 36-38f sleeves claim 6-12oz. capacity. Mainly because the larger the sleeve more of the stretchy tissue is retained.

Sure there are people here with larger sleeves that have done perfect and lost and maintained there weight. They most likely balanced out by making the proper lifestyle changes to make up for any restriction issues and eating correctly.

Work that second sleeve !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

frisco
on 3/29/13 9:55 pm

So..... was your second procedure a gastric plication?

and if you didn't have any sleeve stretch..... what was the capacity change between the two surgeries ?

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/13 2:38 am

I am glad that you have found what works for you and I understand where you are coming from with your post.  The majority of the people that are defensive about your post are the people that are early out, and have not yet experienced the difficulties of a stretched out stomach or the return of hunger and cravings.  I am almost four years out now, and I can really understand where you are coming from.  I am fortunate enough to have friends with VSG with all different sized stomachs, some are much tighter than mine and some, unfortunately, are much looser.  I can see for myself that the struggles  we all face are just easier to deal with when there is more restriction.  Even though my doctor makes relatively tight sleeves, he does on occasion, for different reasons, go tighter still.  My close friend has a much tighter sleeve than I have and to be perfectly honest, I envy her.   Don't get me wrong, I want her to continue to succeed and I love her, but it is clear to me from watching her journey that her path will be easier than mine.  Yes, what we put into our sleeve is very important for weight loss and maintenance, however, that didn't work so well for most of  us before surgery, so to expect that it will magically work years out after surgery is a bit naive.  Most of us need a strong tool to help keep us from straying to far from our program, otherwise we could have done this on our own.  I do want to caution people who have not yet had their surgery that boughie size is just one of many factors that go into making a tight sleeve.  I know plenty of people who got a 32F and have loose sleeves, surgical technique as well as length of stomach play a huge role in your overall capacity.  Finding a surgeon whose overall commitment is to a smaller stomach is important, not just the boughie size.

Good luck to you on this second go around, I hope that you get everything you need and want from your sleeve; may all your dreams come true and I hope that this makes it easier for you to stay the course in long term maintenance.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views