How much did you lose your first month?

Marcus C.
on 4/2/13 1:07 pm
Hi everyone. Just me being nosey. How much did ya lose after the first month? Waist size shrink?
Chalk
on 4/2/13 1:28 pm - TN
VSG on 01/09/12
My monthly weight loss is in my signature. I don't focus too much on what my measurements were since I didn't take any --- jus****ched the clothes size shrink.

Pre-Op Weight Loss 20 lbs ~~~~~ Surgery Weight 289

Goal weight 180  ~~~~~~  6'0"

Month 1 (21 lbs) ~~~ Month 2 (10 lbs) ~~~ Month 3 (14 lbs) ~~~ Month 4 (12 lbs) ~~~ Month 5 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 6 (11 lbs) ~~~ Month 7 (10 lbs) ~~~~ Month 8 (8 lbs) ~~~ Month 9 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 10 (6 lbs)

Goal Reached in 10 months  

JAlston
on 4/2/13 1:48 pm
VSG on 12/07/12

I lost 22lbs the first month, I am down 66lbs total at 16 weeks post op. 

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/13 2:06 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

I lost 21 lbs my first month and then 3 lbs my second month when I get my first stall.  Just take things one day and a time and those days will add up in no time!

mornings
on 4/2/13 2:21 pm - Canada

29 lbs my first month

HilaryH8103
on 4/2/13 4:52 pm - WA
41.4 lbs at 4 weeks & as of this morning 51 lbs at 5 weeks. My 5th week just started yesterday.
Diana E.
on 4/2/13 5:07 pm
VSG on 03/27/13

Phew... I was getting worried.... I appear to be a big weight dropper the first month... tomorrow is my official 1 week weigh in, and I think I'm going to be hovering within a pound or two of 20 pounds.

HW- 318    SW- 310    CW- 194.4    GW- 170-ish  Onderland: 10/30/2013

HilaryH8103
on 4/2/13 5:35 pm - WA
It's probably all water in your first week. I lost 34 lbs. in my first 5 days after surgery & most if not all was water. They pump us full of liquids when we're knocked out & then all we can drink is liquids.
MacMadame
on 4/2/13 5:43 pm - Northern, CA

It's not the pounds, it's the percentage of excess weight that counts. I lost 20%.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Cuter_w_Curves
on 4/2/13 6:29 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

1. I lost 19.1 lbs before I hit my first stall at 3 weeks out not 4 and at this point I am a "shift and drop" kinda girl. I lose inches (shift) and then the weight drops (sometimes very large drops in a week)... But I average 4.03 lbs and that is "good enough" for me.

2. Why would you expect your waist to "shrink" in the first month? Have you had abdominal surgery before? I ask because I am very curious about why you asked in that way, and what your expectations are here.

Since I posted this less than 1 week ago I am going to repeat the information and you can google the term in quotation marks. It is applicable to any and all abdominal surgeries and while some may find it resolves faster... most do not... but since you are asking I want you to be fully aware this this can be a big issue (wear your comfiest fat pants to the hospital and on the way home... Just sayin!

"So let's have the talk about "swelly belly"...

If it is not warm to the touch, hard, etc. It may be (and likely is) Swelly Belly (thank you to the women of the hysterectomy forums for coining this term so well).

No one warned me. No one gave me a heads up like I have for a few others... But I'd had laparoscopic abdominal surgery and I was "expecting" it.

On the day of surgery... I had a waist measurement of 41 inches. It took a total of 4 WEEKS to reach that again.

Surgery was Tuesday January 8th... When I got home Thursday January 10th my poor (typically defined) waist was 48 inches when I hadn't over done it and the time I did overdo it I went to a whopping 50 inches.

Bit by bit the swelling goes down but it is not "fast" and you will still notice you could have some puffiness up to months later (like 6 months later you could be out wandering around at a theme park and at the end of the day your pants are too tight... belly a bit puffy...). Welcome to "swelly belly".

It is an unfortunate side effect of almost all abdominal surgeries FYI. It will end... It just takes time. You two are probably not even "fully healed on the outside"... the messed up part is it can take months beyond that point to heal "inside".

Wait till you've lost enough weight that you can see your little pouch make a little round spot when you drink or eat... and then watch it go down as it is digested. That's kind of fun if YOU notice the alien baby in your sleeve... not so much when others do..."

http://ec2app14.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4616463/Stomach-S wollen/#38285426

I'm not trying to be "mean" by asking what your expectations are here but even if you lose weight your waistline may not drop the way you think it should at first. It comes though.

Since surgery I have lost 37.5 inches overall. Since surgery I have lost 44.34 lbs (that was in 11 weeks and 1 day) as of last time on official scales. I am a measuring tape girl not a scale girl.

Many centers go with a BMI of 24 to determine EWL so I'll roll with that instead of my own goal which is 167 lbs so my EW was 172.95 lbs when I started the process which is 23 lbs lower than I would be willing to go. 

Since I started the pre-op process July 26th, 2012 and making adjustments... I lost 10 lbs on my own (5.78% of EWL), and 14.61 lbs on my 3 week pre-op diet (8.45% of EWL), 19.9 lbs in the first 3 weeks and 1 day (11.5% of EWL), what I have lost since the first month which is another 24.4 lbs (14.11% of EWL). It takes my current loss for this round of weight loss to 68.9lbs as of 11 weeks out from surgery (39.84% of EWL).

*** If I use my actual goals the percentages are higher... (I have reasons I have adjusted EW calculations... And look forward to the plastics to fix them.) It takes it to 45.95% of my own EWL Goal lost to date.

Since I started the pre-op process 26th, 2012 and making adjustments... I have lost a grand total of 86 inches off my body measurements. Even if 48.5 of those were lost pre-op.

So... You got your questions answered with some additional detail... Take my advice. Measure with a measuring tape. When the scales fail to move the inches often do and vice versa. There is no one singular tool to genuinely keep track that will negate all others.

Shell

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Most Active