3 months out-hair is falling out

busboss1
on 4/2/13 11:39 am
VSG on 12/18/12

I am fully aware that hair falls out when losing weight. My surgeon suggested taking biotin. From experienced losers. Is there anything else I can do or take, vitamin or mineral that will help. I am 3 months out and there is quite a bit covering the drain each morning.

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

HilaryH8103
on 4/2/13 11:52 am - WA
Oh man!! This is what I'm dreading the most. I'm only 5 weeks post-op so I haven't started experiencing this yet.
I did read on here the other day that this one girl was getting protein shots in her head. I don't know how well it works if at all but it's a suggestion. I'm way too scared of needles to try it but if you're not than it may be worth while.

I started taking the Biotin about 2 months before surgery & I've noticed that my fingernails are thicker & stronger & my hair is growing faster so that's good.

I take 10,000 mcgs of Biotin every night & I've noticed lately that my scalp feels kind of sore all over. Does yours feel sore from losing some of your hair? Or did it start to feel sore before you started losing it?

Good Luck to you,

Hilary
jarabacoagirl
on 4/3/13 12:22 am
VSG on 12/17/12

I'm not sure why your scalp feels sore.  I started losing my hair but it doesn't hurt or anything.  Hair loss usually starts at 3 to 4 months post op.  I'm personally 3.5 month post op and I started noticing it about 2 weeks ago.  Right on time.  LOL

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

simmie78
on 4/2/13 12:04 pm

I've started losing a lot of hair - I'm 5 months out.  Luckily I have A LOT of hair - but I can tell it's thinner.  They say it stops eventually and grows back...just a phase.

My hair dresser also said that it's normal and will go away - she said it's partly in my head because I know it's going to happen - we all shed everyday...I'm not sure it makes me feel better when I wash my hair and it's so much coming off - but...I keep telling myself it's normal and this too shall pass...

Currently 180 - 76 lbs lost! Surgery 11/7/12, 36 years old, 5'8". I live in Hong Kong and it's a bit different here!

Ohiogirl
on 4/2/13 12:28 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
I'm 6 months out today - my hair starting falling out at about 10 wks and it is still coming out - it has substantially thinned but I'm trying not to let it get to me - thinking it should stop soon or at least I hope so.
Good luck.

Paula.

SuzyNZ
on 4/2/13 1:43 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
There is absolutely nothing you can do about it falling out. Your hair already died as a result of the surgery and your body using the small amount of nutrients you eat after surgery for important body organs like the heart and lungs (slightly more important than hair).

Mine started falling out at about 3 months and has pretty much stopped falling at about 6&1/2 months. I lost about 40% of my total volume.

Biotin will help with regrowth, but no amount of anything else is going to stop it happening.

I stopped washing my hair every day as dirty hair looks thicker and just use a dry shampoo spray. I definitely wear it up more often, but when it's a little dirty and I wear it down, I get that whole "sexy bed hair" thing going on, so it's perfectly fine and NO-ONE even notices the really thin parts except me.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

jarabacoagirl
on 4/3/13 12:19 am
VSG on 12/17/12

I'm right there with you.  I was sleeved the day before you and I'm starting to loss hair right now.  So far not in hugh clumps like some say.  But when I brush my hair a whole lot gets left in the brush much more than before.  It's stinks cause I already have fine hair.  Yeap I heard about taking biotin too but it doesn't usually help that much.  (I have been taking it.)

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

VirgoMommy304
on 4/3/13 1:37 am - Las Cruces, NM
VSG on 08/13/12

Every time I see a post about hair falling out my heart feels for the poster.  It will stop and get better :)  I didn't think mine would ever stop and that I would go bald, but thankfully I was wrong!  I take bioten and krill oil which are supposed to be for my hair.  I had also noticed my hair was coarse and broke easily and these two things helped my hair feel smooth and less tangled.  Keep you head up, it will stop and the weight loss is worth this minor inconvenience when looking back!

~Kristy

M1: 30   M2:13   M3: 10  M4: 9  M5: 20 M6: 9  M7: 4  M8: 6  M9: 4 M10: 5 M11: 10 M12: 7

jolenecsky
on 4/3/13 8:13 am - Franklin, KY
VSG on 08/15/12

Oh my goodness! I have to be poster girl for the most hair lost!! It literally felt like I had bald spots! Everwhere I walked between 3 months and 6 1/2 months after surgery, I left a cloud of hair in my wake. But never fear!! I am now 8 months out and I have TONS of new growth. And I can already tell that my hair is much thicker than it was. So don't worry, it will come back!

DOS: 8/15/12

Most Active