I am stuck.... 9 months post op and not losing much.

MarianneJ54
on 5/5/13 11:58 pm - MO

Need advise from those who are further out then I am. I have lost 60 lbs since surgery with a total of 95 lbs since my journey started. I seem to just be stuck for the last month. I have changed my menu around to see if that would help. My protein intake is still lower than it should be according to my nutritionist. Still trying to improve that. Here is what I pretty much eat daily: 

B- 1/2 scramble egg with cheese

S- sunflower seeds or edamame 1/4 cup

L- refired beans 1/2 cup with cheese or about 2-3 oz of meat( turkey, chicken)

S- light crackers 11 no salt

D- 2-3 oz meat  & a small salad

S- 1/2 cup pop corn or cheese 2 oz or nuts 2 oz

Am I doing something wrong???

Thanks!! Marianne

MarianneJ54
on 5/5/13 11:59 pm - MO

should have over read before posting  Refried beans not refired!!! duh....

mimij
on 5/6/13 12:03 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12
The immediate thing I see is that you should drop non protein snacks like crackers and popcorn. Eat protein snack to increase your protein. How much water are you drinking?

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

AmberK
on 5/6/13 12:05 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with

Without knowing your exact numbers and just looking at your menu, to me it looks like your carbs would be very high. Refried beans, crackers, pop corn, nuts, those are all very high carb foods.  I went through the EXACT same thing as you. I was eating foods that were pretty healthy, but not good for WL. your carbs should not be over 40 a day. Track your food each day and see exactly where your carb numbers, and calories are. Your cal. should be 800 or less. Also, track everything you put in your mouth! I see that you put a salad, did you put anything on it? If so, they will also increase your carbs. 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

stephanieplum
on 5/6/13 12:06 am
VSG on 06/27/12

Personally, I cut the Refried beans, the crackers and the popcorn.  Up your protein and water.  Lower the carbs. Log your food( under 800 calories, under 40 carbs, lots of water)  And, see what happens...  That's what works for me.  

MarianneJ54
on 5/6/13 12:13 am - MO

Thanks everyone! I do drink 8-9 oz of water daily. I eat the foods I listed because I was told to get high protein and it seems like you get into a rut trying to figure out what to do so that is why I turned to you all. I will take all advise and use it. Thanks so much!!!

starry957
on 5/6/13 12:33 am

You've lost alot of weight!  When you say you're not "losing much" - what does that mean?  Are you still losing every week?  How much more are you hoping to lose?  I think stalls are pretty common, from what I've read on here...and perhaps your body is trying to catch up with itself at the moment...I don't know.  You're coming closer to the one year mark, which I've heard most people say the loss starts slowing down as they approach.  I'm not sure what your program wants your proteins/carbs/cals to look like, but if you're in the right ranges, I wouldn't panic unless you still have a significant amount of weight to lose still...then I'd adjust my menu for more optimal loss and see what happens.  Just my opinions.

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

MarianneJ54
on 5/6/13 12:59 am - MO

Yes, I have lost a lot of weight. I was pretty steady at 2 lbs a week but since the last 6-8 weeks it has slowed to about 1/2 lb a week or none for 2 weeks than 1/2 lb. My first goal is at 180 lbs and I'm 14 lbs from that. I would like to get to 160 lbs. My starting weight was 289 lbs. 

I have slowed down on my exercises which I know I need to get back into that.

I seem to get so confused with what to eat!! I got so burnt out with protein shakes that I just don't want them. I guess I may have to go back to them anyway.

This is my second "stall" and I just thought I must be doing something wrong. I guess I need to just relax and be happy were I am at, which I really am happy, I just thought I'd lose every week. I am staying off the scales!! I started weighing every two weeks.

I do appreciate the advise everyone has given me.  I know that the people on here are giving their opinions because they have been through it and are trying to help others. Thanks again!!!

ChurchRat
on 5/6/13 1:00 am - TX
VSG on 10/01/12

8-9 oz of water daily?? You should be drinking like 64 oz of water daily. This is required to flush out the system and aid in your weight loss. You may be retaining water as a result. I'm hoping this is a typo.  Up your water and exercise level. Walk, run or bike. The best thing I can do to break a plateau is shock my body with some new activity. I recently started doing an aquasize class. I still do my weight training and cycling, but this added activity has spurred some additional toning and weight loss.

HW:345 SW:335 HT:6'2" CW:208 M1-25 M2-15 M3-12 M4-13 M5-8 M6-9 M7-13 M8-10 M9-7 M10-7 M11- 8 M12- 0 so far

MarianneJ54
on 5/6/13 1:13 am - MO

LOL,  yes it was a typo... I am drinking 8-9 glasses of water daily which is 64 to 72 oz of water daily. Sorry about that. I was told by my nutritionist that  I was drinking too much water prior to surgery so I had to cut back. I was drinking about 180 oz of water at that time!! So that hasn't been much of a problem except for right after surgery.

I agree I do need to get back to exercising! Thanks!

Most Active