1 month out. I think my calories may be too high...advice?

Jackie P.
on 5/8/13 3:25 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

Hello!

1 month out today. I am trying to follow the good advice of the veterans. My calories I think are too high compared to what they should be. My protein is fine 90g, and carbs are 20 most days.

Calories seem to be around 670 most days. A few days I have went over 700, and one day I was 850cal, but mostly when looking through my journal they are below 700.

yesterdays food

B - 2 homemade quiche cups - 105c

S - turkey pepperette - 60c
cheesestring - 60c

L - flaked ham with mayo  120 ham, 15c mayo

S -premiem shake - 160

D - frozen halibut - 80
basill pesto spice - 39c
broccoli - 4c
margerine - 30c

total: 673cal

I don't want to look back and wish I could of done better because I'm pissed about my loss. I had a 40 bougie. I also don't want to starve myself and be miserable either. I've been battling some hunger as well. I started at 346 lbs, down 22 pds since surgery.

Do you think these cals will harm me? is it possible I just need more food?

any tips are welcome!

Surgery Date: April 10, 2013 • VSG

www.fatfornow.com

Willowbeez
on 5/8/13 3:48 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 05/14/13

I'm interested to see any replies to your question because I'm pre-op but have been filling out my MFP daily with almost exactly what you've posted for calories, carbs and protein.  I've heard keep it under 800 calories.  We shall see...

Deckeriv
on 5/8/13 4:11 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

That looks fine to me. Good job. The weight will come off and drink water when you 'think' you are hungry.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Jackie P.
on 5/8/13 5:33 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

Thank you!

www.fatfornow.com

mimij
on 5/8/13 4:29 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Looks good. You are getting more protein in than I could at that stage, but that is good. Stick to the lean protein choices and you will still keep protein high and calories low. Drink your water too!

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/13 4:41 am

Your calories are fine. However, hearing what you said about not wanting to regret not doing better I would like to make some suggestions.

Early out I also did the homemade quiche cup things. They were easy to get down and not too filling. What I realized though is that they had a lot of calorie bang for the protein buck (meaning I could do better with protein to overall calorie ratio with other foods). Also, I think the turkey pepperette thing is like a turkey/beef stick type of thing???? Not sure, but if it is, again that's a highly processed food with less protein bang than you could get eating sliced deli turkey smeared with a little Greek Yogurt spread.

Check out your cheese sticks, too. I found in my grocery store that the protein counts differed a lot by brand. I always went with the highest protein count, even if that meant spending a little more. Counter intuitive for me, that was!

I was eating about 550 to 600, 650 calories at a month out (I went and checked my log). What I have learned through this process is it isn't always just about the calories, but the quality of the calories. I found I always lost best when I ate a clean diet. A clean diet to me is eating real, whole foods that have been processed either not at all or very minimally.

Keep up the great work. You really are doing just fine! Take my suggestions as they are meant. Only suggestions I think might help you reach your goals.

Jackie P.
on 5/8/13 5:31 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

Thanks Kairk...

Good point. I do need to think about the processed foods...I "think" the turkey stick is just turkey but I didn't really look well so i should do that... I'm not supposed to have deli meat yet, but I think I probably could. I am digesting everything quite fine.

You are very right about a clean diet. I think I lost sight of that actually. Thank you for your advice!!

www.fatfornow.com

LeighAnne89
on 5/8/13 5:41 am - KY

I think your calories look fine I have always been told keep it under 800 though I would personally be like a zombie at 20 carbs but that's just me you are doing great with the protein I still have days where I am lucky if I get in 80 grams. 22 pounds in a month is good just make sure you drink your water because those fluids push out all the bad stuff which will make you lose weight and I found out that most times I thought I was hungry or needed to eat I was really just needing to drink something.

lunarose
on 5/8/13 5:50 am - Newhall, CA

Looks good to me.

frisco
on 5/8/13 8:35 am
Since you asked .....
At 4 weeks it does seem a bit high.....
In calories, quantity and content.

Your obviously following a WL plan. So I can't/won't say it's right or wrong.

I'll just say it seems very advanced for a month out. I was doing 3-400 cals. With the quantity of a half of a scrambled egg at 6 weeks out when I started solids.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active