tatirod · 22 replies · 506 views
I feel like a failure
msfitzy · 21 replies · 848 views
Pain?
jvross4 · 14 replies · 260 views

AVERAGE WEIGHT LOSS ON VSG??

newjourny47
on 5/19/13 9:23 pm - ID

I'm one week out from my VSG and was wondering what the average weight loss usually is? i've found myself getting hungery already and Ive only lost 11lbs since surgery on May 8th? any advice would be appreciated..

funnelcloud
on 5/19/13 9:36 pm

I started losing weight at a fast rate...but 4 weeks post...i am starting to fluctuate as of this week....after finishing OPTIFAST...on surgery date I was 299.  I am now officially down to 266.   I weight in at my friends and one day her scale said I lost 7 lbs 3 days later i was back up 3 lbs....

S0 I wish I could be helpful.... but my diet is still pureed...and i'm having several boughts of constipation... I wish I could help you....all I know is i'm supposed to get 70 grams of protein into me... and I don't think i'm  succeeding in that.

I wish you all the best.

God bless

Funnelcloud(Barb)

mickeymantle
on 5/19/13 10:12 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

there is no average weight loss everyone is different, and you can temperately gain being constipated 

don't worry about the scale just try to get your protein and liquids in the weight will come off , you are probably not hungry probably have gas, you need a ppi or a change of dose of ppi

don't weigh yourself more than once a week or you will drive yourself crazy

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

LVeronica
on 5/20/13 12:17 am

I am loosing about 1% of my body weight per week with no effort (ie I have not started exercising regularly).  My weight loss has been steady since my 3rd week post op.  I am now 12 weeks post op. 

frisco
on 5/20/13 12:29 am

50-60% EWL is the average that I've always heard. Which by a lot of programs is deemed  "successful".

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/20/13 5:23 am
VSG on 10/09/12
From what I understand the VSG is not a standardized surgery i.e. all surgeons have their technique and do it differently - using a different cutting method and a different shape sleeve probably and distance from the Pyloric valve as well as difference in size of the finished sleeve. It also depends on the length of each person's stomach - which in the case of the RnY for example does not matter because everyone gets the same sized pouch no matter what the starting point is. So the average weight loss will vary based on all of those factors which are individual and based on each surgeon's technique. Which basically means that the average is meaningless. What truly matters is the individual determination and effort to make it to a personal goal weight and maintain that forever. Personally i don't want to be 'average' so I am going for the gusto. It is very slow for me in weight loss now but my resolve has not slowed down and I am determined to go the full distance even if it takes me five years to get there!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

ravenbrown
on 5/20/13 5:53 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

My surgeon said the average weight lost & maintained is about 60-70% for his patients.  He likes to see 50% EWL by 3 months, 80% by 6 months and the other 20% in a year.  There's no average, though, really.  I think it's more about your commitment and determination for the long haul.  Good luck!

Hopeful4
on 5/20/13 7:02 am
VSG on 05/03/13 with
11 pounds in such a short time is great! Congrats!
califsleevin
on 5/20/13 8:15 am - CA

According to Dr. Roslin in the referenced article -

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-procedure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practice-2/

2)   Sleeve and bypass patients with bmi’s of 35 to 40 will lose virtually all of their excess weight. Those 40 to 50 approximately 70 to 75% of excess weight.  For those above 55, they will lose 50% of excess weight.  This means if your BMI is greater than 55 you will lose approximately 15 bmi units and still have bmi of 40.

Obviously, these are averages, so there will be some who do better and some who do not so well than these numbers indicate; there's no harm at all in being above average!

Average loss the first week or so is even more variable than overall results as it is heavily influenced by pre-op weight loss (we tend to lose quickly initially whether from surgery or simple dieting and then slow down, so those who have been in diet mode prior to surgery may not see as big of a loss immediately after surgery than those who lost no weight pre-op.) Add to that variables in hospital treatment (lots of fluids pumped into us often causes major water weight gain in the hospital, that then drops off rapidly), starting weights (heavier people tend to lose more gross weight in any given time, but a lower percentage of excess weight), and simple individual variances.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Lisa1023
on 5/20/13 9:01 am
VSG on 03/05/13

that's crazy talk!  I started with a BMI of 61 and already lost 10 "bmi units" at only 10 weeks out.   if these are averages, they are silly averages , based on nonsense.

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234