I feel like I am doing the Atkins Plan.... conflicted....

Jackie P.
on 5/23/13 3:58 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

I'm 6 weeks out. Down 50 pounds including 16 pounds from the liquid diet 2 weeks before.

When I envisioned post op life, I had hoped to have a balanced diet. Healthy carbs, protein, fruit and veg.

I feel like I am doing atkins… I eat all protein: eggs, cheese, tuna, meat, fish. I am at the point now where I can start to add in some things and I am scared. Scared that it will slow my weight loss. I have read so much here about low carb, high protein..

I have Binge eating disorder and I was taught that if I eat all the food groups, and have a small daily treat, then you are less likely to binge.

I thought that is what I would do, but I want to maximize my weight loss too.

Am I doing the right thing, in your experiences?

Will post off life feel like atkins? Does it change once you hit maintenance?

Just wondering your thoughts.

I probably need to switch it up a little. I'm eating a lot of the same things all the time.

Thoughts?

Surgery Date: April 10, 2013 • VSG

www.fatfornow.com

ravenbrown
on 5/23/13 4:15 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

This is a very individual journey, and you have to find what works for you - not only for weight loss, but for your sanity.  For me, eating very low carb, high protein and maximizing my weight loss is what works best for me.  Weight loss is just a small portion of this journey, and I will eat a more balanced diet once I get to goal - albeit slowly to try and avoid regain/bounce back/whatever you want to call it.  As you get further out, your capacity will increase and you'll decide how you cope with that - more protein, more low carb veggies, possibly some fruit, maybe healthy grains.  It will depend on how much you exercise and what works best for you.  Try to figure out how to add variety if you're missing it, track everything and watch what the scale does for feedback.  The issue with healthy carbs and me is that it can snowball into cravings and head hunger.  Protein & veggies don't do that - they provide me satisfaction and energy without a feeling that I want to cram my face with candy bars.  Everyone is different.  Some people work better with a more moderate approach and sometimes slower weight loss (although not always).

Good luck!

Grantus
on 5/23/13 4:17 am

I feel like I am eating the Atkins plan as well, and I'm nine months out. I think for a lot of people, it's a gradual shift to a balanced diet.

Adding carbs may indeed slow your weight loss, but there may be a point where it's good for you that it slows a bit.

Miss150
on 5/23/13 4:29 am
I am 5 months out and adding lots of healthy veggies to my diet. Yum. I, too, was feeling very Sam-o-same-o with the food for the first part of the journey, but there are lots of foods low in carbs to add variety to the otherwise protein dense diet. As you get further in, try some. I think in your case it is important to stay aware of the binge thing and work with it. I cannot ignore my intense problem with how refined carbs and sugar touch me off in the worst way. Best for me to stay away from them. I encourage you to continue to find your way in this. There is time- the rest of your life to work it out. This race goes to the distance runner. Be willing to go the distance. Smiles your way.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/13 4:47 am

Just wanted to add that Atkins is not an all meat and cheese diet. It includes veggies/salads from day one, even during the most strict/lowest carb level "induction phase". And the veggies increase from there and eventually it includes low glycemic fruits (mostly berries) and nuts too.

pineview01
on 5/23/13 1:25 pm - Davison, MI

angrySo true!  And yes that is what they want you to follow for weight loss after surgery but, they never will say/admit it.

It was the only way I lost pre surgery too.

Remember you need the high protein to heal after surgery and spare muscle.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

datachick
on 5/23/13 5:19 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

At almost 7 months out and close to my goal weight, I now eat balanced meals and snacks, with typically no liquid protein drinks or shakes. I am a lightweight so it's been quick, but you will be here some day. I only started being able to do this a coupla months ago when I could eat more, and needed to eat more because I started intensive workouts with a trainer. Until then, the huge amount of protein I was required to get in--I shoved in as much as I could and that was about it. Yes, boring. But easy :)

Does the food plan you were given by your surgeon tell you samples of what kinds of foods to eat during this stage?

Try not to worry about not losing weight--you will lose it. Start adding in some good carbs and veggies see what you can tolerate. Small portions, chew well as usual. Track them in MFP and see how they affect your weight loss. Tweak as necessary.

I don't mean to judge or criticize at all, but wonder if helping with the binging would be better in the future to stick to 3 meals and two snacks a day (or whatever works for you)? For me, I'd be afraid of what a "small daily treat" would lead to. I'm finding that with a semi-regimented plan of eating at about the same times every day, and eating the correct proportions of lean protein, good carbs and good fats, I have no cravings, and stay pretty much within my food plan (except for a yummy ****tail now and then:). I hope this makes sense, and is something that could help you as well.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

TNERNURSE
on 5/23/13 10:25 am

Weight loss does slow down from the initial "honeymoon phase" regardless .When it slows down is individualized because we are all different. I was a stair step loser and a slow loser- regardless of protein, calories, carbs or exercise. I tend to strive for a South Beach type lifestyle. The sleeve is just a tool to hopefully help me maintain that lifestyle. I stay away from the rice, pasta, fried, etc. I do have some fruit and veggies in my diet. Mostly whole grain, lean meats, etc. I do love seafood and I do better with variety. When I get tired of something I take a break from it .

mackieb
on 5/23/13 10:36 am

What exactly do sleevers consider a good carbohydrate?  I am assuming beans and legumes?  I am a newbie and my biggest fail point is carbs.  It sounds like the successful folks on this forum hardly touch carbs and I want to ensure I am doing the right things.  I saw my nutritionist today and she talked about the different foods, etc., once I get past the soft stage.  She mentioned small sandwiches made with Flat-outs, packed with chicken or tuna.  Is that a bad thing to eat?  I can live without that - I just haven't seen anyone talk about sandwiches?  Thanks in advance for the forum's assistance!

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/23/13 1:07 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
It really depends on the Sleever, their surgeon's plan, and how closely they follow said plan. My surgeon's plan is to stay under 800 calories, eat an average of 75 grams of protein from fish, poultry, meat and legumes, about 28 grams of fat and the rest of my calories in the form of carbs from veg, whole grains and fruit. I treat the protein as non-negotiable and enjoy a bit of wiggle room on the carbs and fat.

With that balance I technically CAN eat the occasional small sandwich, but I rarely do, since the calories add up super quickly. Instead I occasionally have either a small quesadilla (using a 6" whole grain tortilla) a single slice of toast or 1/2 a toasted sandwich. (using a flax bread I buy locally that has 70 calories, 6 grams of protein and 3 of fibre)

At almost 11 months out I confess that I'm often only a few calories under budget, so I'm not an especially speedy loser, but I AM losing, I feel great, i'm not constipated like many and I eat sort of "normally."

Since calories are the currency of weight loss, lower calories mean faster loss, but for me a more balanced diet helps me stay sane.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active