Considering Gastric Sleeve and have questions

Dravens_Mommy
on 6/2/13 10:10 am - VA

So, last summer I was all set to get the gastric bypass but backed out 2 weeks before surgery. I am back now and dead set on getting WLS. However, I am NOT getting the bypass. After doing a lot research, I really want to get the sleeve as I am sorta scared about the LAP band after spending some time on the LAP band forum. I only have 90lbs to lose to get to my original goal weight, which will allow me to join the army, but I can lose as much as 115lbs without being underweight. I know that Medicare covers the sleeve now because the surgeon's office sent my mom a letter since that's what she had wanted to get last year. But does anyone know if Medicaid covers it? I have Anthem Healthkeeper's Plus as my HMO and I know they approved me for the gastric bypass but I don't know if they cover the sleeve. Also, how long can I expect to be out of work following the surgery (I work in fast food)? I have income that will pay the rent and bills but I'm going to need to work back as soon as physically possible. TIA!!!

GreenisLove
on 6/2/13 10:26 am - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

First off, good job on doing research and staying away from the band. The stories I have heard from the revisions are horrendous. I can't answer too many questions about health care coverage, and I have only had my sleeve for about 4 days right now. But for time off work I hear its 3-4 weeks before people feel comfortable going back. And congrats to you for taking a step to better yourself. =)

LoveLee07
on 6/2/13 10:34 am - Hampton, GA
Hi yes Medicaid will pay for it in ga. I'm unsure about where you are or if they cover it in other states. I know amerigroup does. I hope this helps best wishes
mrsfloflo
on 6/2/13 11:10 am - Grand Prairie, TX
I can't answer on the insurance... I would suggest giving the benefits hotline a call.
I was off work for 8 days and did fine when I went back; however I had a desk job, not too much movement. Your doctor should be able to tell you how much time you need off.
"Enjoying my life and the confidence to experience more!
My support system: God, my husband, my family and wonderful friends!! I am so richly blessed and God is a God of second chances and this is one He has blessed me with and I'm not taking it for granted!!! Yeah

KathyA999
on 6/2/13 11:40 am

I have read on this and other WLS forums that bariatric patients are ineligible to join the military.  Check with your recruiter if your heart is really set on joining up.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Jackie T.
on 6/2/13 12:41 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I 2nd the advice from the poster above.  My understanding is that you are no longer eligible to be in the military if you have WLS.  You should really check this out if this is your dream.   With the National Guard/Air Force you are not eligible to enlist if you have used an inhaler for any reason.  There are a lot of little things that will disqualify you, but I think this on is a big one.

Good Luck!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Dravens_Mommy
on 6/2/13 1:38 pm - VA
I've wanted to join the army for 6 years now but have always been too heavy. If they won't accept me following wls then I'll find some other way of spending my time. Losing this weight and getting healthier for myself and my husband and son is far more important. Thanks for all the replies so far.
mickeymantle
on 6/2/13 3:40 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

Medicaid in Oregon covers it ,check with your recruiter, it might be that you are able to join for noncombat jobs ,

the army has some funny rules now ,I knew a girl that wanted to join but they would not take her because she had a ged instead of a high school diploma 

call the insurance company and ask to talk to a supervisor , I call and got 3 different answers till I spoke to the supervisor that looked it up and sent me a list of there requirements , no smoking , no drinking ,2 year history of dieting(weigh****chers counts)

6 months  supervised diet , bmi over 35 with co morbidities(diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep abnea, joint pain,ect.)

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/2/13 10:41 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Fascinating... I wonder if they know about food getting stuck with the lap band and what kind of havoc that can cause on the battlefield! There was a poster today I think who said that it was never a picnic with the band and she always had to know where the bathroom was in case of something getting stuck... I can just imagine how convenient that would be in the army! I'd think that they need to re-evaluate especially the sleeve. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

SarahinAlaska
on 6/3/13 12:32 pm

Weight loss surgery makes you non-deployable, therefore, you will not be eligible for Active Duty service if you get the surgery.  I am having my surgery performed at a MTF (military treatment facility) and that fact was covered in our seminar.  Right now it is offered for retirees and dependents only.  

Most Active