Do I have to go through the entire process again???

Dravens_Mommy
on 6/4/13 4:41 pm - VA

Last summer I was going to have the gastric bypass done. I went through all of the testing, got approved, and got my date. 2 weeks before the surgery I had a meeting with the surgeon who suggested that we wait on the surgery because I had told the psychiatrist that I suspected that I was bipolar but was not in therapy. I have since found out that I had PTSD and that I am not bipolar. So, since it has been almost a year since that meeting, and the fact that I want the sleeve instead of RNY, will I need to go through the entire process again? Or should I be able to just have another psych eval and resubmit and have the surgery? I plan on calling the surgeon's office tomorrow to ask them but didn't know if anyone would have any kind of experience in this situation. TIA!

MacMadame
on 6/4/13 4:53 pm - Northern, CA

Most, if not all, of your medical tests will have expired and will have to be redone. This would be true no matter why surgery was postponed. It will be up to your insurance and your surgeon if they accept your nutritional evaluation from before. If you had any mandated dieting or classes, it would also depend if they accepted them or not.

But everything you do for surgery has an expiration date so at some point, if enough time passes, you have to do it over. And every program and insurance is a little bit different but most want the tests to be no later than 6 months old and sometimes sooner.

For example, my surgeon wants labs done pre-op but they can't be done any sooner than 2 weeks before surgery. He also wants women to have had a mammogram and pap smear but I had had one done recently and he accepted those. I don't remember how far they could have been and he would have still accepted them. But at some point, they would have been too old and I'd have to have them redone too.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Dravens_Mommy
on 6/4/13 5:08 pm, edited 6/4/13 5:36 pm - VA

Thanks for your reply. I didn't have any required diet or classes. The only thing I had to do was a sleep study, nut appt, and psych eval. Then we submitted to insurance and was approved same day. I have the same insurance as before but like I said, it's been 11 months since then. I was kind of laid back last time and spread my appts over a 2 month period so maybe if I schedule them closer together I won't have to wait as long this time.

ETA: I just looked at my plan and it doesn't list a time frame for when these appts have to take place so I guess i will find out in about 5 hours when I call the surgeon. Lol

KittyKarin
on 6/5/13 12:22 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

I started the process for surgery in the spring of 2011 and did most of my testing and preop 6 month diet and then quit. I moved to another town and started back up in August of 2012 and everything transferred. My new doctor had a few tests they wanted me to take that my old doctor didn't require but my previously taken tests and paperwork were submitted to my insurance (Aetna) and I was approved right away. So you might not have to do them all over again.  Good luck!

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

danigirl42
on 6/5/13 12:44 am - PA
VSG on 01/02/13

It all depends on your surgeon's requirements.  I went through the process in 2011 and was scheduled for Bypass on Sept 12.  Got to the OR, took a pee test - and OMG I was preggo (on birth control).  Skip ahead a year to September 2012 and I was ready again.  Everything transferred except my bloodwork which had to be re-done and a meeting with a nutritionist since my surgery type changed.  I was so glad because I didn't want to go through everything again!!!

Most Active