Vitamins...feedback please

D. Scott
on 6/30/13 1:12 am
RNY with

So I had my sleeve surgery 11/23/2012. I revised from a failed lap-band. I've had zero problems and recovered very quickly. While my hunger never went away I have easily been able to stop eating when I should and have never felt sick or gotten sick. I have been terrible about taking my vitamins however. I did take a chewable multivitamin early on but dropped off since. Yesterday however I started up my old vitamin regimen (about 8 vitamins in the AM and 6 in the PM) I didnt have any troubles yesterday, but today I about 30 minutes after taking them I felt suddenly like I had to vomit and did. The only other thing in my stomach was the coffee I took them with. I am concerned that if I eat first I wont have enough room in my stomach for the vitamins. I am really in need of taking these vitamins as my energy is low daily, my hair is falling out, and I am getting massive foot cramps regularly. I can tell I have some deficiencies. Can you tell me...

1: How do you advise taking your vitamins?

2: Should I eat first and take them later?

3: Should I be concerned about throwing up? Its never happened before.

Thanks

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

Birdie55
on 6/30/13 1:19 am

I take some of my vitamins with a protein drink, for breakfast.  Then more with lunch, etc.  Before I started taking them with food, I had some episodes of vomiting also.  

Maybe split them into smaller amounts with food, spread out further. 

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

D. Scott
on 6/30/13 1:34 am
RNY with

Thanks for responding. I hadnt thought of taking them with a protein shake. Ill probably spread them out more.

princesswimmer24
on 6/30/13 1:24 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Are you taking a regular vitamin or chewable? If it was regular, I would suggest doing a chewable.

D. Scott
on 6/30/13 1:33 am
RNY with

I took my regular vitamin plus about 7 others. Im not sure if it was due to my stomach being empty or it just being too much. I know the majority of the others I need dont come in chewable. I probably need to take them throughout the day and at least after one meal. Thanks for responding,

denisedufrene
on 6/30/13 1:34 am, edited 6/30/13 1:37 am - Oak Hills, CA
VSG on 04/04/13

I take my usually in the morning but after surgery I now take it at night...coffee and vitamins don't mix together for me either....I  always take after or with a meal...vitamins on a empty tummy don't mix well...throwing up should always be a concern and are you taking them whole my dr. recommended cutting them in half to take them...Hey by the way I live in the High Desert too..

HW: 287     SW:  285     CW:  176     GW:  150

D. Scott
on 6/30/13 2:00 am
RNY with
Thanks for responding. I haven't talked to my Dr since my initial post op follow up as my insurance just changed and I'm not sure yet what steps I need to go though to see him. Im pretty sure the volume of pills I tried taking added to it.

Have you lived in the HD long? I've lived here 28 years and would love to eventually move. Work and an upsude down mortage keep my husband and here for now but eventually...

gloria P.
on 6/30/13 3:29 am - Fayetteville , AR
VSG on 01/06/12
A lot of people have nausea after taking vitamins. I take 2 multi vitamins and 2 calcium citrates a day and if I take them in the morning I get nauseated but if I take them at night I sleep through the nausea. Also the keeping still helps settle the stomach. This is why pregnant women are advised to take them at night and go to bed. Their morning sickness and early morning activity makes the morning sickness so bad they can't take their prenatals. Best of luck to you.

Most Active