Reality check from the husband...

mnmommaof2
on 7/8/13 12:33 am
VSG on 11/23/12

Last night my husband and I took the kids out for a dinner pizza buffet.  I scrapped the toppings off of a small slice of chicken pizza and few bites later... was full.  My husband polished off three plates while my kids went for the ice cream/desert pizza.  Then my husband went back for his treats, and I spent about an hour jus****ching them eat as I sat there bored.

On the way home, (in my best woe-is-me voice) I made the comment of, "sometimes I wish I could eat more than a few bites..." 

My husband's reply, "Pull up some of those before pics, and I bet you'll be happy you can only eat a few bites.  One buffet and it's all over! (meaning one buffet leads to another and another)"

At first, I was feeling a little insulted!  Like what do you mean "pull up my before pics??  Are you pointing out how fat I was??" 

As I drove, I thought about it...  and he was absolutely right.  I might be bored at the buffe****ching others eat, feeling a little left out at times... but I never want to go back to the way I was.  For me, one buffet does lead to another... and another... and another... and another!  I love buffets!  I love the volume of food, I love the variety, I love the hour spend stuffing your face all while thinking about what's going to hit my plate next. 

So that was my reality check-- that my sleeve was the only thing standing between me and room full of pizza buffet!  I'm so glad my sleeve was there to save me from myself!!

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

SAHM2four
on 7/8/13 12:54 am
VSG on 06/17/13

whooohooo for you for staying strong!

MayPenGirl
on 7/8/13 1:04 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 04/03/13

Sometimes we do need a reality check.  I'm glad you were able to see the positive out of what your husband said!!

P.S.  Keep up the great work!!

Surgery date - 04/03/13; Goal date - 11/10/13 (I reached goal in 31 weeks & 4 days)

Highest weight 261  SW 258  GW 150   M1 -26  M2 -14  M3 -10  M4 -12  M5 -13  M6 -12  M7 -11  M8 -10  In maintenance since November 2013  HT- 5'6"  

grayC
on 7/8/13 1:05 am
VSG on 05/01/13
That's a good hubby!
He loves you enough to give it to you straight...

claimmaster
on 7/8/13 1:30 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I know my husband will be saying the exact things to me when I'm feeling that way.  Congratulations!

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

mickeymantle
on 7/8/13 2:07 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

sometimes we need a kick in the pants to keep us on the path

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

defygravity
on 7/8/13 2:57 am - NE
VSG on 07/10/13

Good for you!  I'm not sure I would even have gone.  You have a good husband, pretty sure all mine would've said was "you chose to do the surgery."

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

Melody2
on 7/8/13 3:59 am
VSG on 04/10/13

such a guy thing to say.  enlightened  he just wanted to fix the problem.  however, it was a great point.  thank you for sharing!

Joy M.
on 7/8/13 1:37 pm
VSG on 08/06/13

I cannot wait for only a few bites to be enough. Another month at least. Congrats.

sleeplessteacher
on 7/9/13 11:12 am - MI
VSG on 12/26/12

I agree!!  I told my NUT that I had a teary moment in a restaurant when I had created some perfect bites and my husband kindly pointed out that I was eating more than usual. She was horrified, I was grateful!!  I did pout  for a few minutes in the restaurant and then stopped.  I would have regretted it later, physically and emotionally.  Sometimes, tough love is exactly what is needed.  We're childhood sweethearts married for 25 years and I am very lucky.  I do tease him that I wish he had pointed out how big I had gotten over the years.  I swear I knew I was overweight, but didn't realize the extent.  I also have a weird issue where I still feel...like me.  I know I am smaller, but I don't see the big change that others do.

Just weird, I guess.

SW: 252 CW: 170  GW:160

Most Active