Fasting for Ramadan; need some advice

kodomezhow06
on 7/16/13 6:22 am - KY

Get your fiddles out, this is a long whine. 

Ok, so I know I am whining and complaining.  I just needed to get it out.  I haven’t seen anyone post advise or comments on fasting lately.  So, I’m reaching out to the experienced VSGers.  I’ve been sleeved for about 8 months and the journey has been very successful.  Before I had the surgery I did some major research and felt like I had made an informed decision.  So, you would think as much effort and time that I had put into researching insurance, nutrition, the pros and cons to be sleeved, and finding the right doctor; I would have put that efforts into researching fasting. 

For the past 9 years I have been fasting for Ramadan.  For some reason I didn’t think about it how long periods of fasting would affect me after my surgery.   Fasting throughout the day has been very very easy. In fast it’s been surprisingly too easy.  It’s at night that I pay the piper.  I’m struggle and it’s affecting my stomach.  Hard to believe but what little stomach I have left feels like it shrunk so I can only get about a ½ of a cup of liquids in and I’m done.   Then I have to wait for about 1 hr to 1 ½ hr to eat.  I tried eating first but my quench for thirst is so over powering that I rather drink liquids then eat solids.  But then I have to sit and wait again and not eat with the family.  So it’s frustrating.

Let’s not talk about the vitamins.  Agggh,,,they are making me sick and food has not been kind to my stomach. I am literally bulging over with craps which I had never had before. I eat slow and chew my food.  So, I am not a pig at the troth. I did that a few times early in the process and let’s just say I won’t do that again. 

Anyway, fast forward to my issue. This summer my husband’s two sisters have flown in from Iraq and are staying with us.  They cook non stop; the traditional way; which is an all day affair.  My sister, aunt and I are really enjoying this time and trying lots of new recipes.  The house smells like a Middle Eastern Mediterranean restaurant.  So, I’ve been in heaven.  And yes I have been on track with my eating and I’m still losing weight; (13 lbs from goal).  In fact the foods they cook have been quit healthy and my skin is showing the results for it.  But I think my problem now is due to the fasting. At the end of day my stomach just isn’t having it.  It’s like it went on strike and can’t take it. 

The other day my sisters made a lamb dinner with grape leaves and couscous.  Can we say delicious? Well, I eat a very small portion but by the time I went to bed I was cramping. I thought it was the spices but I hadn’t had this problem before.  What was appealing and smelling good is now making me nauseous.  So, now I’ve been restricting my self to the soaps.  It’s like am almost back to soups and no solids.  This is only day 9 I have about 20 some odd days until Eid.   

Is my stomach telling me that during Ramadan I can only have soups?  Help, I need advice?   

Jennifer L.
on 7/16/13 6:45 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I have no advice what so ever for you but I have to saw, that food does sound WONDERFUL! I can almost smell it as you describe! I hope you get this figured out so you can continue Ramadan cramp free! That just does not sound fun. It almost makes me wonder if, like when we had normal stomachs, if our stomachs shrink after not eating for a certain period of time. 

Enjoy the time with your family!

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

kodomezhow06
on 7/16/13 7:01 am - KY

Thanks, I hope I can get this sorted out. 

Nancybefree
on 7/16/13 6:52 am
VSG on 11/21/12

That is such an interesting question!

I fished around here on OH and didn't find much to commend to you, but I did learn that there is a group here based in the UAE where you might find some helpful discussions about fasting during Ramadan.

I also found this link quickly on the Web:  http://penn-bariatric-weight-loss-surgery.blogspot.com/2012/07/healthy-eating-during-ramadan.html  I haven't read it much myself, as I'm jumping off the computer soon, but maybe there will be something helpful to you in that article.

Hope this helps somehow.  :)

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

kodomezhow06
on 7/16/13 7:02 am - KY

Thanks, I'll check out the website.  Hopefully, it will give me some tidbits.

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/13 7:17 am

I do not celebrate Ramadan, but I do know that exceptions are made for those who are ill or have undergone surgeries, etc.  If you need to sip on water or clear liquids during the day do that.

Jackie00
on 7/17/13 5:57 pm
I agree, there are exceptions that are made for people with special diets. You need to keep yourself fueled. Only you know if you needs these exceptions but I would definitely believe you need your fluids for sure.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

acbbrown
on 7/16/13 7:50 am - Granada Hills, CA

Its tough at this time because the day is just so long, but just think about the rewards :)

You definitely need to make sure you get enough fluids - that should be your priority. Personally for me, Id drink like a fish, and include protein shakes at night because you are hitting two birds with one stone. After you get lots of fluids and protein, then enjoy a small portion of the delicious food. As much as it sucks, id make sure i would get up early to get in some more fluids/protein before you begin fasting. It's very important since youve got a small stomach to work with.

Perhaps while you are fasting, you could get liquid vites that you could toss into a protein shake and kill 3 birds with one stone ;)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

kodomezhow06
on 7/16/13 8:37 am - KY

You know there must be something to that cause my husband and sister in laws get up before sunrise and eat a big feast.  I guess I need to get my butt up and join them.  It may help.

Thanks

lucy2e
on 7/16/13 11:52 am - Laurel, MD

Maybe soups are your best option (at least for some days) since then you are getting your liquids and proteins in at the same time.  At the very least - maybe drink powerade zero so you get hydrated more quickly.

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views