Hair Loss - Hair extensions?

red42897
on 9/10/13 8:58 pm
VSG on 08/20/12

Surgery has done a number on my hair. It's very thin and I don't think it grows nearly as fast as it used to. I started out with pretty thin hair anyway. About three months after surgery the hair loss began and lasted about two months. It has never really seemed to recover. My mom does my hair and she commented the other day that it's still extraordinarily thin. :(

I was just wondering if anyone has gotten hair extensions due to this problem? I ordered some online yesterday (double sided tape extensions) and plan on using them.  I was just looking for a buddy who might have needed these after surgery.  I am looking forward to fuller longer hair from them. The tape extensions are really popular since they lay flat and don't hurt while you sleep.  

Anyway, look forward to hearing from anyone who has thoughts on this. :)

HW:280 SW: 259 CW: 181.2

APhoenixAlwaysRises
on 9/11/13 12:41 am, edited 9/11/13 12:42 am
VSG on 11/05/13

I have considered this for after my surgery if I lose a lot of hair. The only thing I would be hesitant about with leave in extensions is that they tend to cause breakage of your real hair. Even if you had normal hair it will do this. So I'd be concerned that the pulling in your sleep would do more harm than good. Definitely do not do glue in extensions. I did that once and had bald spots and I have medium thick hair! Yikes, lol. I plan on using clip ins that I can pop on when I'm out and about, and then take out when I'm home or to sleep. There is also a cool hairpiece called the halo if you want to look into that. I already have some good extensions from Head Kandy that I love. They have a website you can check out. It's a UK based company but I had a good ordering experience with them. 

red42897
on 9/11/13 1:50 am
VSG on 08/20/12

Thanks for the reply.  I have heard great things about the tape in ones that damage is much more minimal. I appreciate the feedback, I definitely don't need any more hair damage. :(  I am going to give these a try for a bit. I hesitate on the clip ins only because they aren't in all the time and I feel like it might raise eyebrows if my hair is long one day and not the next, but if I already had long hair I totally would.  My hair is just past my shoulders. :(

The clip ins look awesome, though.

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/13 2:13 am
VSG on 06/04/12
Girl I rocked hair extensions for like 6 months after my hair thinned. Had them taken out for a cute and short summer cut. I had the glue-in ones put in by my stylist and they lasted about 3 months at a time. Didn't damage my hair at all. I was really thin for a while, but now 15 months post op it's grown back in nicely. I just took biotin, ate my protein and waited it out. Of course I waited it out with fabulous hair extensions
Carmelita
on 9/11/13 2:26 am - Four Corners, NM

oh dang red...NO I wouldn't even use those tape in extensions.  Your regrowth starts at about 6-7 months...tape in extensions...ya risk pullin out all them tiny little hairs by the root that FILL IN those grand canyon parts. Shortly thereafter  the breakage stage starts...tape in extensions cause em to break off your hair even sooner. Maybe some ideas on get creative section on VSG and HAIR LOSS blog might help....gotta scroll down some.

red42897
on 9/11/13 2:47 am
VSG on 08/20/12

Thanks for letting me know. I will have to definitely do some more research. :(

Most Active