Did anyone have to quit smoking before surgery and how did you do it?

APhoenixAlwaysRises
on 9/12/13 7:47 am
VSG on 11/05/13

I have a less then 2 months until my surgery. I am seeing my PCP on September 19 and hope to discuss with her options for smoking cessation. I have wanted to quit for years and have tried and failed many times. I am not going to fail this time because I refuse to let this get in the way of my surgery and a better, healthier life I will be having post surgery. Just wondering if any ex-smokers have any advice or any methods that worked for them that I can consider. I smoke about 1/2 pack a day and been a smoker for 15 years. That is really depressing when I look at that number. :( I have considered Chantix but I have mixed feelings on it from information I have read. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/13 8:06 am
RNY on 03/10/14

I quit smoking by using Chantix about 2 1/2 years ago. For me it worked really well. It does have some strange side effects though.  The plus side, it completely took away my desire to have a cigarette. I'd think about having one and just say - "nah". Actually didn't want one (and that's from someone that had been smoking for over 30 years). Downside - husband called me "psycho wife" for the whole 6 weeks I was taking it. I was irritable and much MUCH more moody. Up side, that only lasted while I was taking it. With Chantix, I put down cigarettes and have never picked them up again. For me - it was worth it.

APhoenixAlwaysRises
on 9/12/13 8:41 am
VSG on 11/05/13

Well that is very encouraging. Thank you for that. I am nervous that my poor boyfriend will move out when I'm not home, lol. I usually get very irritable when I quit. I will definitely be looking into this as a serious option. I would love to be forever smoke free. It would be amazing.

cozmo98
on 9/12/13 8:43 am - GA

I used Chantix and it made me sick to be around cigarettes! You def don't want to smoke! I only took one pill a day instead of the two pills because it was upsetting my stomach. Been smoke free for 2 yrs now! I tried several times before Chantix and failed too but this worked!

ShelleKarena
on 9/12/13 8:55 am
VSG on 07/10/13 with

yes I did quit smoking, I used a vaporizer/e cig to quit.  it really helped with the hand to mouth need and the fact is that with the nicotine "juice' you can go down to 0 % nicotine.  I was afraid to use chantix

Super Cali Swagalistic Sexy Hella Dopeness!

Pre op: 15 lbs  M1: 18.4 lbs M2: 13.4 (2 wk stall) M3 14.4

bdaycakegirl
on 9/12/13 10:06 am

I quit smoking several years ago. I used the nicotine gum for several months, and then weaned myself off that by eating atomic fire balls. Gained a lot of weight from so much candy. That's not much help.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

StarMomma
on 9/12/13 1:04 pm

I quit using Chantix just over a year ago.  My husband uses e-cigarettes still.  He wanted me to switch to them but I really didn't like them.  The Chantix gave me crazy dreams and it took 2 tries for it to stick but now even if I think about wanting a cigarette, my throat starts to hurt or I get a headache.  It's kinda weird. Good luck! 

APhoenixAlwaysRises
on 9/12/13 1:46 pm
VSG on 11/05/13

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback. I actually felt a bit ashamed posting this in the first place. It is my one true vice and I have struggled with it for so long. My last real quit for over 8 months I felt so amazing. Slept better, had so much more energy, and was an avid runner. It was also nearly 10 years ago and 120 lbs ago. How I lost control so badly makes me feel very ashamed. I just want nothing more than to succeed. I think this is my biggest obstacle. I can go without certain foods, whatever, this is going to test me. How sad. I hate myself for that but it's my truth. I hope I can do this. Right this second I feel pretty overwhelmed but encouraged by your responses. I am so glad I have this time to get it together. I need it. I need you all. Thank you for being there. I truly appreciate it. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/13 2:03 pm - CA
RNY on 03/22/12
On September 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM Pacific Time, APhoenixAlwaysRises wrote:

I have a less then 2 months until my surgery. I am seeing my PCP on September 19 and hope to discuss with her options for smoking cessation. I have wanted to quit for years and have tried and failed many times. I am not going to fail this time because I refuse to let this get in the way of my surgery and a better, healthier life I will be having post surgery. Just wondering if any ex-smokers have any advice or any methods that worked for them that I can consider. I smoke about 1/2 pack a day and been a smoker for 15 years. That is really depressing when I look at that number. :( I have considered Chantix but I have mixed feelings on it from information I have read. 

Alright sweetie, gonna just lay it out for ya. I smoked a pack a day for 40 years. When I was approved by my insurance and my surgeon said I had to quit,...viola, simple, no more questions, no more stress, no more wondering HOW,..I just did it. Stopped, cold turkey it baby. Rough? Yep. Worth it? Yep. Just do it.

APhoenixAlwaysRises
on 9/12/13 2:50 pm, edited 9/12/13 2:51 pm
VSG on 11/05/13

I am happy for you that worked but if I want to be honest with myself I need help. I have a serious impulse control issue. I spend a lot of time alone and that is just not going to work for me personally. I appreciate your tough love but in my case it won't work. I know because I have tried that many times before and failed. This time failure is not an option and short of cutting off my arms so I can't reach it to my mouth I need something more. I will succeed. No doubt about it but cold turkey is not an option for me and I will not feel bad about myself because I just can't quit. Not that I think you were trying to make me feel that way but this is not my first time at the rodeo. I dare anyone to say I don't want this bad enough. I know I do. I am also a realist. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views