Did anyone have to quit smoking before surgery and how did you do it?

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/13 3:15 pm - CA
RNY on 03/22/12
On September 12, 2013 at 9:50 PM Pacific Time, APhoenixAlwaysRises wrote:

I am happy for you that worked but if I want to be honest with myself I need help. I have a serious impulse control issue. I spend a lot of time alone and that is just not going to work for me personally. I appreciate your tough love but in my case it won't work. I know because I have tried that many times before and failed. This time failure is not an option and short of cutting off my arms so I can't reach it to my mouth I need something more. I will succeed. No doubt about it but cold turkey is not an option for me and I will not feel bad about myself because I just can't quit. Not that I think you were trying to make me feel that way but this is not my first time at the rodeo. I dare anyone to say I don't want this bad enough. I know I do. I am also a realist. 

Wow, you know, ...I have to apologize. I came off flippant and arrogant. So sorry for that. I did do it the way I  described, but I am older and just had to do what had to eventually be done. In the meanwhile, I don't know of all, and there are many methods and supports for quitting smoking that are at you disposal. I am certain you will be successful in the end,...in every way. Good luck, I don't think you need luck though, cause you have yourself. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/13 2:57 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13

i had surgery, i'm still smoking.  i hate myself for it.  smoking is an awful addiction and i praise anyone who quits.  i'm doing acupuncture right now, once a week, cutting down to hopefully stop.  smoking makes any reflux way worse and it's just gross.  

i've done chantix twice.  quit once for six months then started again stupidly.  second tiime quit for six weeks felt great had energy, started again.  i don't know what's wrong with me.  nicotine is worse than heroin i hear, and i believe it.  i stop smoking and this evil side of me reasons with my head to do it 'just one more pack'.  /sigh.

my brother's friend's brother died at 38 of a heart attack, they think it was the chantix.  i won'tgo on it again.

APhoenixAlwaysRises
on 9/12/13 3:21 pm
VSG on 11/05/13

Thank you for your honesty. I appreciate it very much. It's hard to admit sometimes around all these major success stories. I worry sometimes II may already fail before I even get started. I wish you all the very best. :) Food is not always the only reason we ended up in this situation. Bad life choices play a large part for many people. This is a major one. It has been for me. It tires you out, makes it hard to breath and slowly takes you down. It should be acknowledged. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/13 4:23 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13

nobody is perfect.  don't be too hard on yourself.  accepting yourself is the first step.  do the best you can.  only you know what's in your head, as long as you know you are trying. :)

i take full responsibility for my mistakes and my choices, even if they are bad sometimes.  it helps. helps you understand yourself better and how you can work on making a positive change.

good luck.

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/13 4:55 pm, edited 9/12/13 4:57 pm

I smoked for about 30 years. Pack a day basically every day for years and years. I had resigned myself to the fact that I would smoke forever and eventually die from lung cancer or some other horrible end brought about by smoking. Though I had not yet really begun to suffer major late stage adverse side effects of smoking (e.g. trouble breathing, wheezing, etc...) I did have high BP, a smoker's hack and I would get winded. Worst of all is I was a slave to cigarettes and I knew it. My life revolved around them.

A few years ago my PCP laid it out on the line. I knew I had to stop smoking. I was terrified. I read about a well known hypnotist in the bay area. I called him and talked with him and decided to give it a try. It wasn't cheap, but I kid you not, I walked in his office at 4:00 pm on a Thursday afternoon and walked out at about 6:00 pm and have not smoked since. I went back for one follow up session about a week later, but that's it. I think I was highly motivated, but this guy is the real deal. He has helped literally thousands of people quit and STAY quit.

You can do this. Yup, you might need help and that's just fine. I did, too. Maybe there is someone in your area that has a great track record. If not, a quick trip to CA might be in order - if you can do it.

Best of luck!!!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/13 6:32 pm, edited 9/12/13 6:33 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13

so hypnosis really worked for you?  i was thinking of doing that too.  sometimes i think it's like you really want to have to quit and sometimes i feel like i really like smoking.  so i'm stuck in a bit of a back and forth.  of course i know smoking is horrible but i do like doing it.  when you went in for hypnosis did you really want to quit?  or were you still wanting to smoke?  i just ask because i don't want to waste money on hypnosis if i can't put myself into it 100%  I'd love to just walk in and come out without needing to smoke.  

thanks for your story

sorry for hijacking your thread phoenix, i'm the same boat as you.

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/13 1:04 am

So, let me be honest. I had resigned myself to be a life long smoker. I thought that was my only choice. I was terribly addicted or at least felt I was. I did not believe that I could be cigarette free. I also LIKED SMOKING VERY MUCH. As a matter of fact, if I could smoke again and not have to worry about health ramifications, I would.

I don't miss it though, except every once in a while. On a day to day basis, I don't miss it at all. I also know that if I were smoking again there is NO WAY I could engage in the physical activity I do now either and I love how active I've become since VSG. I'm also a person who knows to the depth of my being that I can never ever be an occasional smoker. One cigarette and I will be back to it. Of that I am certain. So I never even consider going off the wagon when it comes to smoking. (Wish I could say the same for food! LOL!)

So yes, I was motivated, but was scared to death about giving them up. I still like the thought of smoking, like I said, but the hypnosis really helped me break the cycle. The guy that I went to specializes in hypnosis therapy for smoking cessation so he has a lot of experience and fantastic statistics for long term quits. That's why I chose him. Seriously, I can not say that I walked out and never thought of smoking again, but I did not have the horrible cravings or withdrawal symptoms I had had when I tried previously to quit - even using the patch. This was easy by comparison.

Go here to check out where I went. Maybe he can offer you a referral in Canada. http://www.nonsmokingcenter.com/

Good luck,

Devon

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/13 10:56 am - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13

thank you.  

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/12/13 5:10 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I quit, just cold turkey...can't say that I haven't had the occasional cig since but few and far between! It was fairly easy but I was not a heavy smoker, 4-6 a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

MsBobbiTX
on 9/13/13 1:03 am
VSG on 09/16/13

Please try an e-cig.  I quit four years ago and can't imagine ever smoking again.  I smoked cigs until I was 40 devil. Start with nicotine and then wean yourself down to the lowest level. Once you are comfortable with that, buy the e-liquid with no liquid. Once your nicotine addiction is done, it's really just mind over matter.  Trust me. If I can quit, anyone can. I LOVED smoking.  Now I can't stand to be in the same room.

Most Active