Did anyone have to quit smoking before surgery and how did you do it?

Birdie55
on 9/13/13 1:28 am

One things that hasn't been said so far is that many surgeons will insist their patient quit smoking before surgery.  They will test for nicotine and if found, will cancel the surgery.  So, depending on your surgeon's rules, you might need to quit or they will not operate on you.

Smoking can promote stomach ulcers and with a smaller stomach, that is a concern.  My surgeon never discussed it with me because I didn't smoke, but you should speak with your surgeon and get their perspective on it.   

There have been MANY threads on smoking on this site; just search using the box at the top of the page to see what other surgeons told their patients.  

Good luck.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

jlovetro
on 9/13/13 1:34 am

Yes I had to quit smoking.  I quit in June I just stopped using the ecig about  3 weeks ago.  My surgery is scheduled for Sept 30th .  Good luck to you

APhoenixAlwaysRises
on 9/13/13 4:28 am
VSG on 11/05/13

Yes he will cancel my surgery if I don't quit so I'm freaking out now. I thank all of you for your kind words. It means a lot. This is an overwhelming time right before a major life change and my stress reliever is about to get the ax. So I will be probably coming on here a lot over the next few weeks. Can't wait till I can post smoke for for x amount of time. 

wkeener
on 9/13/13 9:07 am - TX

I am not a smoker but my Dr. says he will not do surgery on anyone who is smoking due to you don't heal as quickly so if you can it will be better for you  GOOD LUCK

Hislady
on 9/13/13 11:11 am - Vancouver, WA

When I quit smoking I'd beat myself up for failure and my husband told me I was using that as an excuse to keep smoking and he was right. He also told me I hadn't failed, I just hadn't succeeded yet. So remember that and don't have a pity party, remember you can still succeed
!

Most Active