Pics from before & 2 1/2 years post-VSG..

INgirl
on 10/13/13 9:17 am

& happily maintaining! 

Figured I'd pop in, say a quick hello & post a pic from yesterday- got all dressed up for a wedding & had a great time. I know early out, I lived for seeing pictures of those that went through this process, and came out the other side healthier, happy and enjoying life. It made the days of frustration easier, and helped lift some doubts we all let creep in when things don't seem to be working as well, or as fast as we would like. My only advice- understand yourself as much as you can, find a lifestyle you can live with for a goodly long time as hopefully this surgery has extended the time we all have here, and do NOT let the scale fluctuations (or lack of) derail you.. your body is not a machine, it will go up & down along this whole way.. and if you are doing what you need to do- the TREND will be downwards.. the direction you want to go. 

Some quick stats- 5'7"- day of surgery wt was 264, today, 144. I gave it my all, self paid for a great surgeon, stuck with my plan and kept my focus on eating the way my body required to get it off, until it all came off.. didn't stress the stalls/gains/slow losses or fast.. just kept on, till I was done. 

Now I eat what my body requires to keep it off which happily is what I love: plenty of fat, lots of good veggies, some good meat. I don't indulge very often in starches, grains, sugar or alcohol, so naturally low carb- I have all of these on occasion, but very infrequently- they truly are indulgences and I treat them as such. I avoid all processed crap, and just about anything that comes with an ingredient list for that matter.

For almost the first 2 years post-op I weighed myself daily, my food, and logged everything religiously. It was a full-time job/obsession. This was necessary for me: a. to get to goal and under (goal was 155, normal BMI) and b. to make it a ingrained habit so it would be second nature later- which it is now. I can pretty much nail quantities and such by eyeball, been doing it so long. Now, I weigh 1x a week and chart that, if it drifts up I knock off what I was doing that got it going the wrong way, and things right themselves over the next month or two. I don't lie to myself, when I have a gain- I can pretty much pinpoint why.. and I knock it off immediately.

I no longer count cals/weigh/measure my food daily. This keeps me saner, and so far- keeps my body very healthy as well. I don't swing too far in either direction eating wise, so if I have a gain from being too indulgent (usually vacation-time!) - some small tweaks, or just knocking out whatever I've been having too much/too often sets myself back on the right path within a month or so. I'm in this for the long-term sustainability of it all, and that means whatever I do, I need to be able to stick with for life. 

Pic time!

Me before leaving to go to Dr. Aceves:

Member Services
on 10/13/13 9:20 am - Irvine, CA

Congratulations, you look fantastic!   

stephanieplum
on 10/13/13 9:21 am
VSG on 06/27/12

Thanks for sharing...I hope I get to a place where I don't have to log.  You look beautiful!!!

Debbie M.
on 10/13/13 9:28 am - Orient, OH
VSG on 01/30/13

You look awesome! Congrats on your success! angry

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/13 9:38 am

You are beautiful and classy and you have this thing coming and going.  Congratulations on 2.5 years.

happyteacher
on 10/13/13 9:46 am

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

TexasTerritory
on 10/13/13 10:00 am
VSG on 07/22/13
You look great

Miss150
on 10/13/13 10:01 am

Wow!  You are knock out georgeous!  So well done!  Love hearing, that with commitment and attention we can keep the weight off. May it continue for you for life!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Ingrid K.
on 10/13/13 10:02 am - Canada
You look stunning!!! Congratulations
Shagdoll
on 10/13/13 10:08 am
Jo!
You look stunning & I love the new longer hair, just beautiful!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Most Active