New to Group

DrewMN
on 11/23/13 11:41 am

Hello All,

I am new to the group and I have found the information in your posts very helpful in my pre-WLS research and decision making process. I have just completed all of the required pre-surgery hoops and within a few days I will have an actual surgery date ( expecting mid to late December).  I decided on the sleeve for a number of reasons that many of you have also outlined in your posts. It basically comes down to long-term quality of life issues.

I really appreciate the perspective that I see in your posts and the way you support one another through the the weight loss and the struggles.

I would really appreciate hearing more from the men in the group to get a better understanding of how their journey has progressed.

Breesus9
on 11/24/13 9:43 am
VSG on 10/04/13
Hi Drew, Things have been going very well for me. I have lost over 1/2 my goal weight in less than 2 months from surgery. It was on 10/4 and I'm aiming for 100 lbs, at least initially. So far, it has been a little different for me than most here because I never had trouble drinking or eating anything after the surgery. My post op diet was immediately pureed/soft foods for a few weeks with no liquid diet, and I have never had trouble eating anything so far. I rarely need to do shakes because I can get the protein from normal foods. There is definitely restriction, but not like the many folks who can only eat 1 to 2 oz. I was able to eat 3-5 or so depending on the food pretty much from the start. But I am satisfied and keep to 80+ of protein 64+ water and 600-900 calories. Usually at least high 600s to rare 900 digits, but I tend to be pretty active and I feel that I am eating just what my body is telling me it needs, not snacking around, etc. It's worked so far. I really like everything so far, and it's been a good change for me anyway because I like protein the most. I don't have carb or sweet cravings very much...meat and things like that are my favorites anyway. The difference is that now I eat them prepared more healthfully. It has been helpful for me to experiment with good wls-friendly foods that I really like and then stick to a cycle of a few types to keep the meals and numbers consistent. Ground lean turkey with a few different sauce options is something I could eat everyday, so I brown it and prepare it 3 or 4 ways in advance and make lunches and dinners from those choices with a few vegetables or a low fat cheese option and/or some fat free Greek yogurt with a little sugar free preserves and a Splenda packet. I have yet to feel deprived that way. Anyway, that's how it's been going for me. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

VSG 10/4/13 - High 300 - Start 275 - Surgery 268 - Goal 175

Scott S.
on 11/24/13 10:43 am - TX

Hi Drew,

Congrats on making this big decision.  I am 14 weeks out and my doc wanted me down 110 lbs, and I am down over 70 so far.  My personal goal is 125 lbs, so it is over half way so far.

It hasn't been without its challenges, but overall, the journey has been pretty smooth.  It took a few weeks of solid food to see what  my capacity was.  If you can exercise, get your H2O in, and eat fish/chicken, you will succeed.

To me, if there is one piece of advice I can bestow, it would be to win the little battles.  Stay away from grazing and sweets.  This is definitely a lifestyle change, but for the good.

The experience has been great and noticeable to other.  You won't regret it when you lose.

Oh- and also remember it is not a straight shot down.  There are stalls and gains (within 1-2%).  It's part of it.  Just keep working and you'll do fine.

Good luck with surgery and hit me up if you have questions.

Scott

VSG: 8/8/13 

Most Active