Pre Surgical Diet Goof

K. Chism
on 12/14/13 6:03 pm
VSG on 12/20/13

I am on Day 8 of my 13 day pre-op diet and struggling! I have followed everything to a tee until today when I found myself craving everything I knew I shouldn't have.  I ended up having 2 glasses of wine and 5 M&Ms.  I'm feeling so guilty! Did anyone else struggle and goof on their pre-op journey?

Spencerella
on 12/14/13 6:22 pm, edited 12/14/13 6:25 pm - Calgary, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

As I'm sure you've read here, most of us find the pre-op diet very challenging. For some of us it's the most challenging part of all!  Most of us have to fight very hard to not give in to our natural hunger, and occasionally give into food to deal with it.  

To be honest, I'm surprised that in essence it was two glasses of wine that conquered you.   This particular choice would not have been made in response to hunger, so what was it about?  Or maybe I'm underestimating how frequently pre-ops 'cheat' with alcohol . . .  

Either way,  I would encourage you to take a deep look at what led you there and think about how you can deal with this for a successful post-op journey.  

LINDA                   

mickeymantle
on 12/14/13 11:02 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you need to be very careful with drinking after wls you will get drunk real fast on much less drinks . also it is very easy to transfer  your eating disorder to a drinking disorder  , I would recommend you talk to a therapist to see if you have a problem , or to help prevent one

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Sandy M.
on 12/15/13 7:06 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Hon, very few of us are perfect, and if we're honest, we probably did something along the way that wasn't good for us.  You probably figured out that that wine and M&M's kicked off a craving for more, which is what we call the Carb Monster.  The longer you can avoid these things, the easier is becomes, and after surgery, the sleeve will make it easier to avoid them.  For awhile.  

As part of the learning process you might find some foods that are triggers for you.  That, just like an alcoholic, you can't have just one.  For a lot of people, being overweight isn't just about portion control - it's an addiction, and how do you treat an addiction?  You don't just remove the substance.  You also treat it with therapy, support meetings, etc.  If this sounds like you, you might consider adding a therapist to your treatment team.  Or seeking out your local Overeaters Anonymous chapter.  

Don't do it again, but forgive yourself.  I doubt that this slip will affect your surgical outcome.  And it might be just what you needed to determine the best after-surgery treatment plan for you.

We'll see you on the Loser's Bench in less than 5 days!  Woot woot!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196