Persistent heartburn

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/25/13 11:19 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Hi all,

I got to start purees on Tuesday, so I tried 1/4c of egg beaters, scrambled and mushed to paste. It went down OK, chewed thoroughly, itty bitty bites, and eaten slowly. But since then, I've had serious heartburn that hasn't gone away despite 2 Tums a day and starting my prescribed PPI on Tuesday as well.

I'll be calling the surgeon tomorrow morning, of course, but since I've never had heartburn in my life, is this normal? Does it mean I ate too fast, or that the food just didn't agree with me and I should try something else? I figure I may have healed slowly and that could be part of it, so I'll trust the doc, but the voice of experience is always appreciated.

Thanks all, and I hope everyone had a lovely holiday!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sandy M.
on 12/25/13 11:21 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Well, the PPI usually takes a couple of days to work.  Are you taking it once or twice a day?  My surgeon had me take it twice a day for 6 months to help in the healing process.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

on 12/25/13 11:26 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm on Dexilant, and the bottle says to take it once a day. I guess it makes sense if I need to wait for it to kick in, thanks!

childof60s
on 12/25/13 11:51 am
VSG on 12/17/13

Hi, I'm new to this myself, with my first day of purees yesterday too.  I find I get a burning sensation when I've eaten a bit too much too fast, and it feels a LOT like heartburn.  It dissipates after a while.  I'm learning how to "obey" my restriction.  I've found to take it reeeeeeally slow and not to eat more than 2 oz of food at a time.  Hope that works for you too.

Co60s

Immediately after surgery: Blood sugars normal, metformin discontinued! Month 1: 18.2 lbs lost;  Month 2: 11 lbs lost.  Month 3: 11 lbs lost

Annievvho
on 12/25/13 1:12 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

Are you eating the egg everyday? 

on 12/25/13 1:53 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Nope. Ate it Tuesday, then went back to soup and shakes since.

Tracy D.
on 12/25/13 11:27 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Give the PPI a few days to kick in.  But if it continues to be a problem do not hesitate to contact the doc and get a script for something else.  I had to try several things before I hit on one that actually worked...and then I had to up it to two-a-day for awhile.   Protonix was a miracle for me after other things didn't work or I discovered I was allergic to them.  

Good luck! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active