Feeling stuck

pram81
on 1/2/14 12:52 pm
VSG on 12/18/13

Hi! I am pretty new to this - 2 weeks post op. I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any advice and/or help. I am on the puréed stage and finding it very difficult to get all my protein and water in. I eat one egg and get the worst heartburn (which I guess is fullness?). Will i eventually be able to eat more? Will the full feeling eventually be less painful? I can't seem to stomach any of the protein shakes either. Suggestions? Also, how often do I eat? As much as necessary to get all the protein in, or only my 3 meals and 1 snack (as per my NUT), and not worry about the numbers yet? I've been sticking to the types of food I'm supposed to eat, but I definitely need to measure out (as seen on previous posts) and slow down. Just tell me it gets a little easier and this is all "normal" for right now :) Thank you so much!

Peggy

Fran001
on 1/2/14 12:59 pm - MI

Yup, it's all normal, and yup, it gets easier.

It is pretty important to get in a decent amount of protein (especially if you don't want your hair to all fall out three months from now), so if you can get in a couple of protein shakes along with your three eensy-teensy meals, do so.  Don't eat to over fullness, though.  One egg may well be too much right now; eat half of it, and if you feel satisfied, leave the other half.  (This is where having a dog to eat leftovers comes in handy. Also bantam chickens, which lay tiny eggs :D )

pram81
on 1/2/14 1:04 pm
VSG on 12/18/13

Thank you!!

hollirrose
on 1/2/14 8:38 pm
VSG on 04/21/12
I could not make my protein goals without 2 shakes a day for the first 6 months. The next 6 months I did just one a day. They are a necessary evil for most of us. Think of them as medicine...even tho you don't like them..you must still drink them. At about a year out I was finally able to get in my requied protein with food alone. Now I only have a shake when I want a " treat". Funny how that worked. Best of luck!
FindingMyWeigh
on 1/2/14 10:16 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Eggs are a problem early in recovery. It's usually considered a viable protein option at 4-6 weeks post op. Are you on a PPI? It's really important to keep the stomach acid balanced to avoid any ulceration of the new tummy.

Personally, I was on full liquids from week 2-4 to allow time for my stomach to heal. It's major surgery. I couldn't tolerate non fat greek yogurt until after 6 weeks but some people can tolerate it earlier. Cottage cheese is another option. I was allowed moistened tuna in the pureed stage and that may work for you also.  I picked up some Isopure Zero Carb in creamy vanilla and it wasn't as sweet as other protein shakes.

What I was eating for weeks 2-4 was Bari Life cream soups. I tolerated warm liquids better than colder ones. I found the protein drinks to be too sweet. No sodium or lower sodium broths were my go to when I had already gotten my protein in but just wanted to have something other than water. I use reduced sodium Better than Broth and others on here really like the Unjury chicken soup protein soup.

theyearofme
on 1/2/14 11:58 pm
VSG on 03/28/13

Eggs weren't considered pureed for me.  I couldn't eat but half at 6 weeks postop.  Def make your protein shakes priority to get your daily counts in the right range.  Then add in very small amounts of pureed at other points during the day.  1/4 cup of anything was more than I could manage.  Start with almost liquid things like greek yogurt.  Do that for a day or 2 before trying anything else.   Go slow!  Go slow!  You have a lifetime ahead to eat normal food again.  Give your new tummy multiple weeks to heal before you push.

pram81
on 1/3/14 2:57 am
VSG on 12/18/13
Thank you all so much for taking the time to give some advice. Back to shakes I go!

Peggy

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views