Anyone dx w osteoporosis after VSG?? Med folks help!

anninva
on 1/6/14 8:08 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with

Hi all, sorry not posting much. 3 yr surgiversary in the 10th but that's another post. Doc appt today abt bone scan that show osteoporosis in spine and hip as well as some osteopenia. I'm 54 and hit menopause in 2007. 

The doc talked to me abt treatments and difficulty absorbing the regular meds as well as D and calcium bc of the surgery. 

I'm out!!!!!  Feel old and vulnerable and scared. Any info appreciated!  Thanks!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

happyteacher
on 1/6/14 8:31 am

Hi,

I can't help at all, but I am very sorry to read this is an issue.   I just recently got some low labs back, but I was slacking on my supplements.  How have you been doing on your supplements?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

drea29
on 1/6/14 8:34 am

Sorry you are feeling this way.  Have you been taking calcium and D right along?  If you had VSG, why would you have trouble absorbing?  You are not old and with exercise and treatment you can improve.  

Annievvho
on 1/6/14 8:52 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

My doc told me that calcium (very important that it's citrate, not carbonate), vitamin d, and vitamin b-12 are typically absorbed from the part of the stomach that is removed, so taking those supplements for the rest of your life is so important. The staff actually said that one of the most common deficiency related complications from the surgery is osteoporosis (although b-12 deficiency is the most common). Are you taking your supplements every day? I know it can be tedious and easy to forget sometimes, but if they're not being absorbed from our diet we have to get them somewhere. 

anninva
on 1/6/14 8:54 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with

Have been a total slacker abt supplements. Asked doc and she said that didn't cause it. I felt so guilty!  And that was supposed to be freaked out, not just out!  LOL.   I think the absorption issue has to do with having less stomach to absorb the supplements and also that the meds can be irritating. 

Ack!!!!!!!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Annievvho
on 1/6/14 9:16 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

There are also genetic factors, etc. Interestingly enough, think folks are at significantly higher risk than overweight folks for osteoporosis. You may have lost yourself right into a higher risk category, or simply were already genetically prone to osteoporosis. Do you have any pain/joint problems? My Anatomy and Physiology instructor swore by calesthenics. Maybe there are exercises that can help you maintain your bone strength.

atia
on 1/6/14 8:55 am - parma, OH
VSG on 04/10/13

Hi Ann,

Im sorry to hear this.  People in general, not you, think that calcium shows up on a blood test and thats not true.  The labs test the calcium thats in the blood not whats actually in our bodys...in the bones. 

Im no where close to being as far out from vsg as you are but my RD did warn me about my calcium supplements and exercise.  Im great on the supps, faulty on the exercise and I still drink my protein shakes with milk and hope I always will.

Do you have these things on either side of your family? 

I hope some of the others will chime in.  Its alright to be afraid as long as we move forward.

tia

KathyA999
on 1/6/14 9:40 am

Calcium needs acid to be properly absorbed, and so many of us take a PPI due to increased reflux after VSG.  It's a concern.  Iron's the same way.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

happyteacher
on 1/6/14 10:02 am

Hey Ann,

Just remembered that weight lifting helps to build bone density- I would avoid anything with impact for now though, at least until you work through this with your docs. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

ThinLizzy
on 1/6/14 10:15 am - Benicia, CA

Hi, Anninva,

I"m 59, and I've had osteopenia for a loooong time. Had it before my vsg 6+ years ago. It is VERY genetic. My mom had it and so does my sister. I slipped into osteoporosis about 2 years ago but have reversed it back to osteopenia using a relatively new drug called Forteo (I had already taken the biophospates). I also work out with weights, do yoga and some cardio. I use a liquid calcium citrate...pm me if you want any info about my experiences with the meds...

Lizanne

Starting BMI-38.5, Surgery 08/14/07

Most Active