Hands and Legs Fall Asleep

hope123
on 1/15/14 8:39 am - MO

I'm 12 weeks post-op and wondered if anyone has a slight issue with your hands falling asleep when you sit at your desk and type on your keyboard?  Or when you sit down your legs fall asleep?  My legs don't fall asleep on the couch, but they do on hard chairs.  My hands don't completely fall asleep, it's more like they just start to tingle a little and then I have to massage them.  My desk chair height isn't any lower then it was before surgery, and I even raised it seeing if that will solve the problem.  It hasn't helped so far.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue post-op, because I didn't have it before surgery.  If so, have you figured out why?  Thanks

candiedtamz
on 1/15/14 9:08 am - TX
VSG on 10/22/13

I'm right there with you on this. I have the EXACT same problem! It started happening right when I got back to work after my surgery! I did ask the doctor but they just told me to take vitamin B complex. To me that really didn't work much...

hope123
on 1/15/14 9:41 am - MO

Sometimes doctors aren't really helpful, are they Candiedtamz?  I hope we get this figured out.  Thanks

teachren
on 1/15/14 9:28 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 05/13/13 with

I had the same problems starting around 5 months post op. I would sit down on the toilet and my entire left arm would go numb or I would lean over to turn on the shower and it would go. Odd. I ended up going to the chiropractor and he worked on it a bit but it didn't seem to get any better. I could be at aerobics and all the sudden my arm and toes would start tingling.

Then, in early December I started to have different fingers go numb and white on my hands. It was as though it was intensifying. I would come in from recess and try to unbutton tricky buttons for my Kindergartners and my fingers would be so numb they wouldn't function properly. At this point I got a little worried and went into my doctor. He asked a bunch of questions and had me do some neurological tests bending my hands and such to check for carpal tunnel.  He is now investigating 2 different scenarios. One he said is that I could have "double crush" syndrome associated with nerves being pinched due to being in odd or constricting positions while I was on the operating table for my surgery possibly. The other, and more likely suspect he says is something called Raynaud's syndrome which is a constricting of blood vessels due to exposure to cold.

So I'm in the midst of blood tests to check my iron, vitamin D, and to check for rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and a few other things that this numbness can be symptoms of.

Hopefully he'll have some answers for me in two weeks when I go in for the results.

So..that's what I've figured out so far :-)

150 pounds gone for now! :-)  Initial goal weight of 170 lbs met on March 7, 2014.  My 44 year old bones survived hiking 4 days overland to a highest point of 4700 metres! Machu Picchu goal...CONQUERED!

hope123
on 1/15/14 9:39 am, edited 1/15/14 9:39 am - MO

Thanks Teachren, it's funny you say "toilet" - and thank you for saying that, because I was too shy to say it, LOL!  That's exactly where it happens to me too.  It doesn't happen on a regular chair, but it happens every time on the toilet...like almost right away.  That never happened before, and it's so weird.  I'm glad I'm not the only one, although I wish this wouldn't happen to any of us.  If you find out anything, please let me know and I'll do the same.  Thanks again!

LosingSarah
on 1/15/14 11:39 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I have the same problem. I see my doctor in a couple weeks and am going to be bringing it up. 

drea29
on 1/18/14 3:08 am

This happened to me in the beginning.  I would get up each morning and go to the bathroom.  My feet would be numb.  It would get better as the day went on.  I asked my surgeon and he said he did not operate on my feet.  It did resolve itself.  Sorry I can't say why.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views