Celebrating 1 year post-op (w/ pics)

danigirl42
on 1/20/14 10:41 pm - PA
VSG on 01/02/13

This is my blog post from my surgiversary on 1/2/14 

Celebrating a Year...

Today marks 365 days passed since I had my life-changing surgery.  There really are no words to describe what this journey has been like for me.  There have been both tears of frustration and tears of joy.  There have been a LOT of little victories.  But the biggest victory is that I no longer have to be a bystander in my own life, I can be a participant.  Not only have I lost weight but I've transformed my outlook.  I am more positive and optimistic.  I am setting goals for myself and for our family.  I'm living life.   My kids finally have a mom who can physically keep up with them (well most of the time - lol).  I can walk around with a 3 year old hanging on my leg.  I can scoop up my 1 year old and swing her around while kissing her baby belly.  My husband has a wife that doesn't need to rely on him to keep up with the house all alone.  I can carry and move things and I can clean stuff without assistance.  And he can actually pick me up now (which was a secret goal of mine b/c what girl doesn't want to be swept off her feet?!)   I've realized that I have accomplished a major task and if I did this, then I can accomplish other things I set my mind to (well honestly my therapist helped me realize that).     Anyway, I don't have an official before/after photo for 1 year yet but this should do:
  And for good measure - here's some before:             These photos are painful for me to look at because I remember how I felt emotionally and it was ugly.  I really truly hated myself.  And if I were to be 100% truthful, sometimes I felt like I was better off dead.   But nothing speaks louder than these photos of me LIVING:                     I LOVE looking at pictures of myself now, not because of the weight loss but because I'm happy in them and I can focus on the memory contained in the photo instead of the ugliness I used to feel inside.  That's a remarkably new thing for me :)   I'm meeting with my surgeon for my 1 year follow up this afternoon but here are my current stats:   Starting Weight: 314 lbs Current Weight: 167 lbs Total Lost: 147 lbs!!   Thank you to my husband Shawn for all of his support and encouragement.  Even when I was questioning myself, he never faltered.  He had complete faith in me and still does.  Love you honey bunny!   Thank you to all of my family and friends for your cheer-leading skills and listening to my occasional whine.   I hope to keep up on here but it's slowed down as life has gotten more crazy and busy, but I'm truly loving it.  That's how it's supposed to be :)  

jubjub
on 1/20/14 10:47 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

A-Maz-Ing.

Wow.  Great job!  

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

jujubslim
on 1/20/14 10:47 pm
VSG on 03/17/14

You look amazing, congratulations! Thank you for sharing your pictures it help us pre-op people see the light at the end of the tunnel

Sandy M.
on 1/20/14 10:48 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Wow Dani - this post should be required reading for every surgical patient!  What a transformation, on the inside as well as the outside!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

The_True_KayD
on 1/20/14 10:55 pm

Thank you for this post. I got on the scale this AM to see the same weight last week. I am seven weeks out so looks like I have hit my first plateau. Seeing your pictures solidified in my mind that this plateau will pass. I will just keep doing what I am doing and I will be fine. I remind myself how I am starting to feel like I am beginning to participate in my own life! 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

tysmom01
on 1/20/14 11:24 pm - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

Amazing! Congratulations!! You look awesome

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

claudiaes
on 1/20/14 11:29 pm - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

wow congrats , really amazing transformation!! 

Readyforchange96
on 1/20/14 11:29 pm

You look amazing!  I have my first surgeon appointment Thursday and I have been kind of nervous.  If I have the success you did I would be so happy.

lnettles1963
on 1/20/14 11:43 pm
VSG on 07/12/13

WOW!!!! Your post has really inspired me.

This is definitely the feel good post of the day.

Seeing the transformation in your pictures made me smile.

Kudos to your hubby for being there for you. That is a blessing.

Best wishes!!!!

jameas
on 1/20/14 11:45 pm

BLESSED! Truly BLESSED!

Most Active