almost 6 years out and gaining

MS.LISA
on 3/20/14 2:21 pm - Salem, OR

I haven't been on here for a long time. its been almost 6 years since I got my surgery and I lost 100 pounds and now I've gained about half that back I am upset with myself because been getting fat! since my surgery I lost my gallbladder I and now any mic and I have low white blood cell count and low red blood cell count, they have put me on niacin and anti depressants im not sure if it's the medicine that makes me so hungry but it seems like I want to eat and eat and eat Alll the time! I don't work out no more, I have a desk job I don't get much moving around., my doctor told me that I need to start working out and changing my eating or else I'm going to have a heart attack and I just seem to want to eat more and more even though I'm not supposed to do?.I need help and I need help now!.have I just ruined my sleeve altogether?.is there anyone out there that gained about 50 pounds that they've lost again? Are we able to lose again?

mickeymantle
on 3/20/14 3:13 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

some anti depressants make you hungry talk to your doctor about changing them and get back on your plan

do you take iron pills  and calcium pills , they need to be taken 2 hours apart 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

MS.LISA
on 3/20/14 4:36 pm - Salem, OR

I takE a multi vitamin and my iron they have been giving me intravenously because of my enemic

katym
on 3/20/14 3:42 pm - PA

Hi Lisa,

I have not gone thru your exact experiences but I want to encourage you that it is always possible to go back to basics and improve your health even if you do not lose weight as quickly as in the early days. You still have a tool that can give you a big head start on a regular dieter if you use it.

It has been more than 2 years since my surgery. I have plateaued for more than 6 months, regained about 10 pounds twice, and then lost the regain plus a little more. My biggest struggles were when I was dealing with other health issues. It was sobering to realize how easy it was to rationalize poor food choices as if I "deserved" to eat whatever I wanted since I was in pain. I wanted to eat all the time. Slowly I am starting to learn that just because I CAN eat lots more than in my first year, does not mean I should. Simple things like getting enough protein, water and sleep while avoiding sugar make a huge difference. What  we all "deserve" is a chance to be healthy and not be sabotaged by ourselves or others. 

It is an ongoing struggle, but you can succeed.

All the best, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

MS.LISA
on 3/20/14 3:58 pm - Salem, OR

Thank you katy for the support, and yes, the medical situation is what really got me down I drink Lots of sugar free Starbucks each day, so I I think I even though its sugar free I'm pretty sure it's probably fatning I am also a candy eater and I started eating caramel werthers and I would eat like a bag a day, and  I finally stopped eating those, I still have pretty good restriction but as soon as my sleeve empties I'm putting food back in it,i know Iknow I'm being stupid but it's like I can't stop!

MS.LISA
on 3/20/14 3:46 pm - Salem, OR

I apologize its been almost 4 years not 6

TexasTerritory
on 3/20/14 8:21 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I have dealt with depression for years and manage it with meds. I have found that my meds did not and/or do not affect my hunger. Putting any food in my mouth/body is a choice and has consequences. I rather doubt any medication is stimulating your hunger to the extent that you want eat a whole bag of candy. Candy = carbs = increased hunger.

Start tracking your food intake. It would appear that you are consuming a large quantity of calories and carbs. Remember to consume 80+ grams of protein daily. This will curb your hunger in addition to water intake.

Provide your body what it needs regarding protein and vitamins and you should discover improved control of your hunger. Good luck.

pineview01
on 3/20/14 9:08 pm - Davison, MI

Lisa are you seeing a therapist too.  With your depression and all the issued that get us to this point in the first place.  I had a band and revised to the sleeve.  I had gained back higher than my surgery.  The difference with success and failure for me was journaling and working with a therapist.  I hope you can get the help you need with your meds and getting back on track.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

dm1503
on 3/20/14 10:55 pm - Lakeland, FL

MS.LISA -

Just a quick word.  I have not had my surgery yet, but I have a friend who had a by-pass about 12 years ago.  After a few years she started to gain, and the gain became considerable.  Somehow she has wrestled it under control, and is loosing again.  There is hope.  Shake things up.  Do something different, even if it is not food related.  Sorry I couldn't give you any magical words of wisdom. 

jameas
on 3/20/14 11:26 pm

Lisa, you KNO how to do this! It is just getting back to the basics and you KNOW you can an you will! You have lost your MOJO, so whats eating at you? Maybe check your life relationships. your self talk, consider a counselor, your worth it. The fact that you are reaching out is PERFECT! So whats holding you down, whats lying to you? Get back to the feeds that state what we are eating daily and get back to simplicity, also gert the crap food out of house, do a cleansing. I like that your considering antidepressants they can assist.I go to work 10-15 min early and walk the halls just for a jump start, I drink tha water on the ride to work. You got this! ONWARD FORWARD do not look back!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 50 views