Eating too fast reminder for my fellow newbies!

Amber G.
on 4/19/14 4:47 pm, edited 4/19/14 6:26 pm
VSG on 04/02/14

Hey All! Okay, at 2:00 PM today I ate 1/3 cup of cottage cheese. I chewed well (not much to chew lol), but I ate it pretty fast. It literally sat heavy/pressure in my stomach for awhile! I made the mistake of taking a nap right after (2 hrs), and woke up STILL feeling heavy. I think I will take a walk if I make that mistake again. So just a friendly reminder...eat slow! Regardless of how "mushie or soft" that it is 

csbsteph
on 4/19/14 10:11 pm - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm with you.  I made the mistake of eating some tomato soup with light sour cream one night a few weeks ago in front of the tv & eating it too fast.  I was MISERABLE...I make sure I don't eat in front of the tv anymore I can't really concentrate on & enjoy what I'm eating anyway if I do.  I don't want to ever feel that about to throw up stuck in my chest/throat feeling again.

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

Stacy_WLS
on 4/19/14 10:36 pm

I notice that cottage cheese fills me up more than other foods.  It does generally sit heavy.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

fiveO
on 4/19/14 11:15 pm
VSG on 03/24/14 with

I am horrible at this. I am a police officer and I'm used to eating fast because I never know when I will have to get up and leave. I made myself sick last night and the night before because of eating too fast.  My problem so far is I  match the speed of the person I'm eating with. I have to get my phone out to keep from doing it but then I feel like I am being rude. 

mmmesser
on 4/19/14 11:33 pm

I have ALWAYS been a fast eater...and 8 + months post-op...I find this still to be true.  I think this is the hardest part for me (go figure).  I DEFINITELY have to weight out my food each and every time b/c I eat so fast and I typically make sure to weight out less than 3 oz. of meats (although some foods sit 'heavier' so sometimes even that doesn't help).  I understand the police officer who has to do a distraction task while eating to help...if it helps, it helps...don't worry about the possible 'rudeness' factor...we're just doing the best we can like everyone!  Of course, you could just yap with that person (which might work out easier for women if you go by stereotypes...and I can say that b/c I'm a woman).  And speaking of...I just assume the police officer was a woman...I didn't even look at the User ID to help determine.  Either way, I'm getting off topic.  Let's just say...if you have been a fast eater for a couple of decades plus then you might as well get your head around the fact that this will continue to be a struggle so start some planning to help yourself out!

Mac333
on 4/20/14 12:27 am
VSG on 04/24/14 with

Sorry for your experience but thank you so much for posting. I am having surgery in 4 days and there is so much to remember about what to do post op. As a teacher I learned to eat really fast and it is a habit I have not been able to break despite being retired now. I know thus post will be on the front of my mind now as I begin my sleeved life. Thanks again!!

Mac    HW  234   SW   204.8   CW   190     M1  

" The favors of the Lord are not exhausted,His merices are not spent; they are renewed every morning so great is His faithfulness"     

Lamentations 3:22-23

hollyk79
on 4/20/14 12:38 am - NE ALBERTA, Canada
with

I find with foods that are so protein dense, I can eat way less, ricotta and cottage cheese included. I tried some super soft and mushy fish last night and could only manage about 2/3 of an ounce! I am still trying to wrap my head around this... It just makes me laugh really :) Such a learning curve.

Sleeved April 2 /14

5'8" tall HW 269.4 SW 251 CW 230.2

Goal?? 160 sounds good but who knows

Gwen M.
on 4/20/14 1:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think this is one of those lessons that we'll only ever learn from personal experience, no matter how many reminders we read!  I also have learned that I can't eat a "meal" within two hours of bedtime or it just sits too heavy and keeps me from sleeping.  So I started having a greek yogurt protein popsicle for my late meal and that makes a huge difference to my comfort level.  

This whole process teaches me something new every day :P

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mustlovepoodles
on 4/20/14 10:21 am
VSG on 12/31/13

Ugh. I've had a few experiences with eating too fast, or too much. It's really a horrible feeling, with your mouth watering and feeling the food sliding up and down your esophagus. When that happens I have to sit upright or walk around for a bit. I have tried sipping a little water in hopes of floating the food down but it doesn't really work too well. Then the next thing you know I've got food AND water sliding up and down my esophagus! 

Ahh, well. It's all part of the process. Live and learn.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

Most Active