Hot drinks?

jamiemarlowe
on 4/20/14 4:26 am

Last night I was a little cold from working outside in the upstate NY weather. I had a huge craving for hot coco but knew I that wasn't an option because of the sugar. I'm 5 weeks post op. 

I realized then that I had not considered what would be a good option for a warm drink - I don't like stuff really hot, just slightly warmed. I can't drink Coffee and I don't really like herbal teas at all. Any ideas of good options? We are planning on doing a lot more camping this year and it would be nice to have a coco substitute. 

I'll be completely honest when writing this my first thought was, duh, warmed chocolate protein shake but then I wondered if other had tried that and it was nasty.

Shagdoll
on 4/20/14 4:31 am

I have yet to found a good decent tasting low sugar hot chocolate that you can buy at any store. I am not a fan of adding chocolate powder to my coffee and you don't really like coffee anyways.  :)

I really loved the protein hot chocolate mint from bariatric pantry. It dissolved really well and tasted great. No protein taste at all!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Bufflehead
on 4/20/14 5:02 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I also get the protein hot chocolate from Bariatric Pantry (you can get it under a different brand name at Nashua Nutrition, same thing). They sell it in lots of different flavors, but I just get the "classic" and doctor it up with different Torani sugar free syrups, Stevia sweet drops, or flavor extracts. I also get their cappuccino and similarly doctor it up with syrups, etc. I usually mix mine with half water and half skim milk -- that gives me a taste and consistency that feels right. Unlike most protein powders, you can mix these with liquid that is as hot as you want, as long as it isn't actually boiling.

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/hot-drinks/

The ones I get are the brand at the top of the page. There are other brands available but I haven't tried them, so can't vouch for them!

jamiemarlowe
on 4/20/14 9:05 am

Thanks for the info! That sounds delicious and I'm sure it will be around the campfire. 

mmmesser
on 4/20/14 5:13 am

You can't do Decaf Coffee?  Before you spend a lot of money...make sure your new tummy likes warm fluids...mine does not.

jamiemarlowe
on 4/20/14 9:04 am

No, I don't drink coffee at all regardless of caffeine for religious reasons. I can handle warm fluids, I've done chicken broth and been just fine. Apparently my new tummy is just as resilient as my old tummy. I haven't encountered anything it can't handle yet but then I have followed the doctor's & the NUTs recommendations. 

mmmesser
on 4/20/14 9:42 am

I could do chicken broth but something about cocoa and the like...maybe the broth wasn't as hot or something...either way, it looks like someone had a great suggestion with the carb master drink....sounds pretty good.

trinoc
on 4/20/14 6:39 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

I heat 1.5 c Kroger Carbmaster milk.  Add a spash of pure vanilla extract (w/ no sugar or corn syrup), a bit of stevia (to  taste), and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  SO delicious!  90 calories and 17 g protein!  Cheaper than a protein powder and way yummier, imo.

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

jamiemarlowe
on 4/20/14 9:07 am

There isn't a Kroger around where I live, is there another brand of Carb master milk - if it's name brand I can try it? It sounds like something my family would like as well. Thanks again for the recommendation!

Bufflehead
on 4/20/14 8:38 pm, edited 4/20/14 8:38 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I think Kroger is the only one that sells Carb Master, it's their own brand/creation. But if you have a Fred Meyer nearby, you might keep an eye out there -- they are sister stores and I know Fred Meyer carries Carb Master or Carb Buster yogurt, which is the same as what Kroger sells, so maybe they sell the milk too, or will pick it up eventually.

There are other low carb/low calorie milk options that you can look for -- Hood Calorie Countdown nonfat is a good one. I have heard about Mootopia milk but they don't have it nearby for me -- if you see it, check out the numbers and see if it would work for you. Other brands I have heard about are Fairlife Skim and Silk High Protein almond milk. Or just poke around in the dairy case and see if there are any options beyond plain old skim milk that will work for you.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views