Chike Mocha Protein Review

Bufflehead
on 4/22/14 10:53 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Hi all,

I promised a review of the new Chike Mocha protein flavor. This flavor isn't available on their website yet, but they seem to have shipped it out to a couple of bloggers for review, and somehow some tubs ended up on EBay. I was up in the middle of the night with my iPad, stumbled on the new flavor, and of course had to order a tub.

First, let me say I really love this new flavor. It's stronger in flavor than the regular Chike Iced Coffee flavor, and has a nice blend of chocolate and coffee tastes. The consistency seems a bit thicker than the regular Chike coffee as well. It is a little less sweet than regular Chike IMO. That said, I will probably save it for an occasional treat because I think I still prefer my regular Chike coffee. I'm used to having my coffee protein shake every morning, and I like it the way I like it. Creature of habit. So as good as this is, it will not displace regular Chike in my heart or in my blender.

A couple of caveats -- I never drink Chike with a full serving size of two scoops -- for me that is just too many calories and too many carbs. So I use one scoop and then add in other things to bump up the flavor level. If I had just made this with two scoops of protein powder and no add ins, my reaction might be completely different. I tried it two different ways:

1 scoop Chike + 1 tsp instant espresso + 1 pump Torani SF chocolate syrup, mixed with 1 cup plain carbmaster milk. Numbers: 135 calories, 7 carbs, 21 grams protein.

1 scoop Chike + 1 tsp instant espresso, mixed with 1 cup chocolate carbmaster milk. Numbers: 155 calories, 11 carbs, 21 grams protein.

I liked the first way better. I think it would also be really good with other Torani syrups -- I am planning to try it with hazelnut, peppermint, brown sugar cinnamon, gingerbread, and Belgian cookie (yes, my kitchen does look like I could set up a Starbucks inside).

It looks like I was the first person to use this product and log it on MFP. I tried scanning in the barcode on the tub to enter it into my diary, but what came up when I did that was regular Chike Iced Coffee, not the mocha flavor, and the numbers are different for mocha, at least per the nutrition information on the packaging! So if you get this flavor and are an MFP logging junkie like me, be extra careful if you are planning just to scan the barcode. Perhaps they will fix the barcode info but if they don't, you can search the food database and you should find my entry. I created it to match the nutrition info on the tub exactly.

Stacy_WLS
on 4/22/14 11:24 pm

Thank you for the review!  I have so many flavors to try right now.  I'm too a creature of habit and have a hard time passing up my morning Chike to try something new.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Shagdoll
on 4/22/14 11:42 pm

Thank you for the review.  Noe sure if you have ever tried the Click Mocha.  I was wondering if this new Chike Mocha tasted more like the Click.  Thanks for giving us some ways to drink it with the stats looking good!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Bufflehead
on 4/23/14 12:26 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I think it is somewhat similar to Click but honestly I liked the Chike much more than Click. That's such an individual thing though. I know lots of people love the Click flavors, but I don't really care for them.

skeller
on 4/23/14 1:15 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

I'm with you on the Click--waaaay too sweet. Chike is much more to my liking, and gives me hope that I'll actually be able to drink a protein drink in the morning after surgery next week!

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

carrie054
on 4/23/14 8:38 am

Thanks!  My kitchen is the same way--I know I have at least 10 bottles of torani :-/

I also prefer Chike but I can deal with Click in a pinch (like now when my chike tub is empty and I don't feel like ordering a new one). 

VSG on 1/28/14

M1 -24 lbs  M2 -11  M3 -14 M4 -6 lb(total loss:  55)

HW:  297  SW:  279 CW:  224

ataglimpse
on 4/23/14 9:14 am
VSG on 04/09/14

Based off of another one of your post I ordered some.  I can't drink the coffee yet though until I am one month out.  I am 2 weeks today.  I did try the other Chike flavors and the only on I liked was the banana.  I am looking forward to trying the Chike coffee with the Torani chocolate.  I didn't find the Chike Mocha on the website either so I just ordered the coffee and thought I would add the Toarani syrup as you suggested.  Thanks for the review!

Bufflehead
on 4/23/14 11:53 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

For the plain Chike Iced Coffee flavor I do 1 scoop plus 1 tsp instant espresso mixed with a cup of milk (I use the Kroger Carbmaster). I don't usually add in flavored syrups -- I just like it plain. It's hard to explain -- I've tried it with the flavored syrups, and it's good that way too, but I am just so accustomed to my standard iced coffee protein shake that making it taste different just seems a little off to me. I know that probably sounds a bit ocd!

Most Active