Can't seem to get back on track after Easter derail

saravmf
on 4/23/14 4:10 pm - Canada

I had surgery on Feb 5th and had been doing pretty well with my eating plan until I went through my first real test of a holiday and all the food that's associated with it. I have 7 children with baskets full of Easter treats still hanging around the house and had 2 family meals of Turkey and all the trimmings with days of leftovers. I had been trying to aim for 60g protein and under 20g carbs, but let myself indulge a little and now I can't stop! I keep telling myself each morning that it's a new day, but I've fallen back into ALL my old habits of caving half way through the day. I haven't lost any weight this week and I'm worried that I've already lost the motivation of fast rewards on the scale and am completely ruining this honeymoon period. This past month I have only been losing around 2lbs/week and I think the slow down in loss has really made me lose focus. I don't get nearly enough water in (around 30oz a day) and I'm sure I'll get all the regular replies that I just need to go back to basics and that my food choices are huge red flags this early out in the game. I'm telling myself all these same things, but I just can't seem to act on it. I'm grateful for the restriction that is at the very least holding back the regain FOR NOW, but I still have so far to go! How do you get your head back in the game after an epic fail?

HW:334PreopW:304SW:276CW:195 Mth1:24 Mth2:15 Mth3:12 Mth4:10 Mth5:10 Mth6:5 Mth7:10 Mth8:4 Mth9:6 Mth10:7 Mth 11:4

pineview01
on 4/23/14 6:47 pm - Davison, MI

I am having issues too.  It is really hard as I was working out more and just being more active and thought I would hit a low.  Instead I saw a big gain and all the sweets are calling out to me.  Today is the first day I didn't give in to them.  Going to bed now before I blow it

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

cappy11448
on 4/23/14 7:55 pm

I find that carbohydrates cause cravings for me, and if I indulge, its very hard to control my eating.  So I keep my carbs really low, and that makes the diet possible.  You might try cutting your carbs really low for a few days and see if it makes it easier.  I keep mine below 25 g per day.  this means the only carb I get are from dairy and healthy low-carb veggies. 

I hope this helps.  Its was a real break-thru when I realized it for myself.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Tracy D.
on 4/23/14 11:16 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

How to get your head back in the game?   You're going to have to white knuckle it sister...plain and simple.  And by the way, a 2 lb. loss per week at this point in time is great and fairly typical.  You shouldn't expect anything more.  Here's my suggestions as someone who has walked in your shoes:  

1.  Up tha****er - you must drink at LEAST 64 oz. a day.  At this point you should actually be shooting for 80 oz. 

2.  3 meals and 3 snacks per day for the next 5-6 days.  Mostly protein, super low carb, add in some healthy fats (nuts, avocado) if you feel yourself getting hungry or having a craving.  You've got the carb monster on your back and this is the best way to get it off.  

3.  Man up and get the damned candy out of the house!  If you were an alcoholic would you allow your family members to hoard  bottles of booze in your home?  NO!  Your kids have had plenty of time to cram candy into their mouths the last 5 days....they should be told that it all goes in the garbage at the end of the day.  Better yet, when they come home from school today it's already gone.  This is your life and health we are talking about.  Take charge! 

4.  In the future, think about how you can teach your kids that holidays aren't all about food and sugar.  Set a good example and fill their Easter baskets with active toys, games that challenge their brains and maybe ONE treat that they can eat that day.  

Good luck on de-carbing...it's a real ***** but you can start TODAY!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

jameas
on 4/24/14 12:51 am

Janet hit the nail on the head whether we want to hear it or not DO NOT PASS this on to children yes some goodies but our Country goes SO overboard you have this set the example you are the role model teacher USE this gift for all! It is a time to rethink what we have been doing to ourselves and our loved ones fruit, a few sugar treATS AND THATS IT! jANET YOUR GOOD FOR US!!!! lOVE THE ALCOHOL TAKE! We need to man up it is the hard RIGHT work!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/23/14 11:25 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

1. All-or-nothing thinking - You see things in black-or-white categories. If a situation falls short of perfect, you see it as a total failure. When a young woman on a diet ate a spoonful of ice cream, she told herself, "I've blown my diet completely." This thought upset her so much that she gobbled down an entire quart of ice cream.

Identify The Distortion: Write down your negative thoughts so you can see which of the ten cognitive distortions you're involved in. This will make it easier to think about the problem in a more positive and realistic way.

The Double-Standard Method: Instead of putting yourself down in a harsh, condemning way, talk to yourself in the same compassionate way you would talk to a friend with a similar problem.

Just some ways to untwist your thinking. Maybe this can help.

datachick
on 4/25/14 12:23 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Hit a support group meeting, even OA or WW, or anything where there are people doing what you want to be doing. Not just to help with this issue, but forever. Also try a therapist or counselor because even if you manage to lose all the weight you want, your head won't change on its own  and you might be having these same thoughts and issues a year from now. Learn some new skills now, you don't have to do it alone or live your lifel white-knuckling it. 

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

skeller
on 4/25/14 12:48 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

First of all, this doesn't sound to me like an epic fail, although I TOTALLY understand how it probably feels like that to you. 

Couldn't it just be one of the typical stalls that people often experience a few months post-op? I mean, sure, you have been going off plan, but you're still losing weight--the trend is still downward.

Seriously, get a hold of yourself, know that you haven't failed (you're normal, doing what we all do from time to time), and start taking care of yourself. Make yourself the priority. Do it.

I totally expect you to repeat all of this to me in a few months when I'm where you're at and feeling like I'm an epic fail. Ok?

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views