Missing mexican carbs - substitute suggestions?

feels_so_good
on 7/14/14 12:19 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

I've been having my taco meat and fajita meat, adding a bit of (some or all) cheese, salsa, s.cream, working in veggies - lettuce, tomato's, onion, jalapeno, bell pepper. But I miss the carbs (not a carb craving, but a the overall taste or texture, if that makes sense). No taco shell or burrito shell or enchilada shell, or chimichanga shell or taquito shell, or tortilla chips.... Never been a big rice eater, but even mixing in some rice would be nice. I do add a little refried beans some times but that just seems to make me miss the 'shell' even more (and I'd rather eat the meat that use my sleeve space for those calories/carbs). 

I've tried a lettuce shell, best solution so far (compared to eating it out of a bowl with a fork).

I got some 6' mission whole wheat, low carb, tortilla shells that taste okay (80 cal, 14 total carb, 2 fat, 3 protein) but it's so filling then I can't get in my protein. 

Any other suggestions? (other than waiting till I'm 6 mos or a year out so I can eat one meat stuffed chicken taco in a taco shell)

Love my sleeve, weight loss, and new energy, just feeling a little bumped about missing that flavor profile due to my current restriction. 

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

frisco
on 7/14/14 12:37 pm

My opinion....... gotta get over it...

It takes about 6 months to get used to everything and new normals.....

Even though in maintenance I can eat some bread, rice, pasta, potato I don't feel the need that I "have to".

At goal and firmly into maintenance is the time to find out tolerances.

I get the tortilla thing..... deep fried corn tortillas were my thing. I had a way off spraying cooking oil on every side of six tortillas and microwaving them stacked all together to make six tacos at once......

But now..... I'd rather have this:

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/14 2:48 pm

I don't think there really is a suitable substitution during weight loss. Sorry! Later on, like Frisco said, you can try a few things once you're in maintenance. I wouldn't bother with the low carb tortilla at this point. You are very wise to be focused on protein. Sorry I don't have a great idea for you. But honestly, I'm 2.5 years out and I still don't eat tacos or burritos with the tortilla. I eat the meat and veggies and sometimes (say 1 time per month) I'll allow myself a few chips. I still get too full if I eat carbs. It's a good thing really.

califsleevin
on 7/14/14 3:05 pm, edited 7/14/14 3:07 pm - CA

Mission makes a thin corn tortilla that I use for that purpose (and for making small pizzas!) I wasn't on a carb-worrying plan, but at about half the thickness and grams of a normal tortilla and 35 calories each, they could be fit into a meal where such things are indispensable.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

frisco
on 7/14/14 8:56 pm

"carb-worrying plan"

That's a new one.... nice!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

ThinkPink92
on 7/14/14 8:23 pm

Hi. I use Mama Lupe's Low Carb Tortillas. They have 60 calories, 7g carbs, 3g fat and 5g protein. I get mine from netrition.com.

Roko
on 7/14/14 8:42 pm

I have used cheese to make a hard taco shell and it is so good and fixes the texture, hard shell I want.  I also have found a recipe for high protein enchiladas using egg as the replacement for tortilla shell.  I have not tried that, but could possibly work.

happyteacher
on 7/14/14 10:21 pm

Torano makes a low carb tortilla that has much better stats than the one mentioned.  I believe it was 50 cals and under 5 carb, and that is full sized and even I couldn't come close to putting that down if it had any kind of filling.  I would use one of those and craft some type of mini taco size mold and go from there if I was really motiated to find a decent substitute. I know you can buy molds at kitchen places and this search turns up a variety. I have small silicon baking cups- if it were me I would use one of those, cut some tortilla mentioned above and bake until crispy  Not a taco shape, but taco bowl shape... and it would be very small. Low cal, low carb, high crunch, and it could be filled with the protein that you need.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 7/15/14 3:44 am

I think you hit it on the head with the motivation! If we really are motivated to find a substitute we work at it. I remember working at perfecting a recipe for mashed cauliflower because I wanted something to take the place of mashed potatoes. I finally found the right combo for me and my taste and texture need. Honestly, I have never missed the taco shell, burrito wrap and am content to eat the inside. No wonder my advice was lack luster!

feels_so_good
on 7/15/14 12:17 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been mulling it for a couple weeks, I just don't desire other carbs (not even missing my old friend pizza). I'm going to search other stores for other brands of tortillas and try the small taco shell baked in the muffin tin - put those silicone molds I bought pre op to use. 

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views