Been around OH for awhile? Please introduce yourself and share how you are

Member Services
on 7/15/14 6:05 am - Irvine, CA

The OH community has so many members that have been around for quite some time.  You've provided LOTS of information, education and support, and make the community what it is. 

Please introduce yourself and update on how you're doing along with anything you'd like to share.

peggysue828
on 7/17/14 5:56 pm

Hey! Just recently joined.  I just started the process of getting approved for  WL surgery.  Just doing some research on the gastrectomy sleeve.  Any helpful info would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Member Services
on 7/17/14 11:10 pm - Irvine, CA

Hi Peggysue828,

Welcome to ObesityHelp.  We're glad that you're a member of the OH community.

You're in the right place for research and support.  We suggest you make your post in a separate post on this message board so others will see it and reply.

Best of luck to you!

Finallyme2014
on 7/20/14 2:19 am

Hi Peggy Sue! :)  I just had the sleeve done a little less than 3 weeks ago and I feel fantastic!  Being completely honest, the first week after was rough for me...I didn't feel good, but I kept in constant contact with my doctor, and I found I needed a switch in medications.  So it's REALLY important to be honest with your doctor and keep him or her updated on anything,even if you think it's not important.  It might be!

I did A LOT of research in medical journals (I'm an English teacher, and my mom's a nurse so there you go :) and here are the reasons I chose the sleeve over the other 2:

1.  I did not choose the lap band because although all 3 surgeries had the same short term success, in the long term (longer than 2 years), 70% of people who get the lap band gain the weight back!  Also, there are other complications which just had many of those people turn around and get one of the gastric surgeries done anyway.

2.  I chose the sleeve over the by-pass for the following reasons:

• Sleeve is a much shorter surgery, therefore reducing the risk of infection
  • sleeve doesn't change the natural order of your digestive system.  You don't "by pass" the small intestine. 
  • Sleeve has less incidence of malnutrition (not getting enough of certain vitamins and nutrients) because of the point above.
  • Both have the same long-term success rate of keeping weight off:  90%.

I'd be happy to talk to you anytime, whether you choose this typeor another, or just need a friend to talk to :)

Best wishes, Christine

CJCC55
on 7/18/14 5:03 am - Cleveland, TN

I'm almost 4 and 1/2 years post VSG, so for the last 4 yrs have been off blood pressure medication, and no longer snoring.   I love being outside working in my garden a large portion of the time.  Don't have any difficulty with walking, stooping or bending since my surgical recovery, and love wearing size 8 or 10 clothes (depending on garment)  

My early weight loss goal was to get down in the upper 140s.  When I lost down below this, I set a new goal at 139, and when my weight went below 135, I set a new goal of 127.   My lowest weight after VSG was at 121, but I looked too old in the face, and did not want to maintain that weight longterm.  Took a year or so before I was able to gain any weight, but I am currently at 135, and have enjoyed this weight for the last 6 months, except for a pooch around belly. Can't seem to lose the belly fat regardless.  Having some moderate success with the coolsculpting, and wi**** was a little less expensive.  

I am still so, so thankful for my VSG and for Dr. Mark Pleatman.  He is the greatest!!

Wishing you all the best, Carol       
count your blessings!!!!   At goal weight.   I am 5 ft 3.    

Member Services
on 7/18/14 6:08 am - Irvine, CA

Hi CJCC55,

Thanks for sharing your WLS experience.  It is very motivating. 

You've not only had to reset your goal weights lower but a huge congratulations to being 4-1/2 years post-op and you've maintained your weight.

Way to go on your WLS success!

(deactivated member)
on 7/19/14 12:29 pm
with

Recently joined! I've made one forum post and just wrote my first blog entry. I've lurked on the site for awhile but, now - I'm part of the community.

Details of my current schedule / weight, etc... are in my signature. 

I am so happy to have such an amazing (free) resource at my finger tips. 

Finallyme2014
on 7/20/14 2:23 am

Hi Scott!  Congratulations on your decision to get this done.  It's a very empowering move, and you will feel much better after.  I had my surgery done just a little shy of 3 weeks ago, and I already feel so much better...and am 30 lbs lighter!

Best wishes and I will keep you in prayer.  If you ever have any questions or just want to talk, I am happy to help be a support system.  That's what this should all be about :)

Good luck!  Christine

Finallyme2014
on 7/20/14 2:29 am

Hi I'm Christine and I just recently had the sleeve surgery done on 7/2/2014.  I feel like it's a new birthday for me!  It's totally empowering, and I feel better physically already having lost 30 lbs between the surgery and the pre-op diet.

I am new as a member on this site, but I have been on and off this site for the past 6 months during my decision making and just to just info in general.

Thank you to the creators/employees of this site!  It is truly a blessing from God to have access to people, information, andmotivational tools that you provide.  I hope you know what an impact you all have on people's lives.

Also, to everyone on the site, hi!!  I'd love to meet some new friends going through the same bumps and successes, so feel free to message me and say hi, too.

Have a great day, everyone!

Christine

Cece2014
on 7/24/14 12:31 am

Saw several of your posts and am SO happy for your recent success.  I'm still in the pre-op / approval phase and have used OH for general info and learning. I've opted for the sleeve for exactly the same reasons you have - much less disruption to one's normal anatomy is a real selling point for me.

Looking forward to hearing about your continued success.  

And my name is Christine too!  (I don't find many of us).

Christine

Low Carb Lifestyle is working!   HW: 370   CW: 295  GW: 200

Most Active