LSG - 5 days post op, recurring diarrhea about 10-12 times a day normal ?

mukhtarhindi
on 7/22/14 11:15 pm
VSG on 07/18/14

Hey so I had my surgery on Friday Jul 18 2014 and I have been on a clear liquid diet ever since (starting soups tomorrow) and I was wondering if the terrible diarrhea I am experiencing is normal.

Any tips would also be appreciated.

Jiliana2
on 7/23/14 1:04 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

My first thought is, fluid in = fluid out. And second thought, yay for being able to poop! (Sorry, TMI perhaps.)

I know many people have trouble with diarrhea at first. Seeing as you are less than a week post-op, I would highly recommend checking with your surgeon/centre to see what they would recommend first. They've surely seen this before and they likely have a plan of attack if you speak to them.

If it were me, I'd add fibre to my intake. Probably something like Benefibre to my liquids to ensure my stools aren't quite so loose. Just an idea; again, run it by your surgeon first.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

mukhtarhindi
on 7/23/14 1:18 am
VSG on 07/18/14

I called my surgeon and he recommended I drink some liquid yogurt. It didn't help, however I ts been 5 hours and I haven't had a bowel movement so I think its subsiding. I think it could be me switching from bottled water to tap water the day of (probably something with the quality here in dubai) and I have hence switched back to bottled water. I will keep you all updated on to if its truly over. 

Thanks for the reply,

Mukhtar

mickeymantle
on 7/23/14 1:28 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I had diarrhea for the first week or so but not that bad but I was on full liquids after the second day , I was told to take Imodium by my surgeon

It might have been gems in the tap water your not used to , or just the all clear liquids

glad it is clearing up now , but call your surgeon  to see if you can take imodium

also make shore to drink enough liquids so you don't get dehydrated from the diarrhea maybe some thing like gateraid  to replace the electolights

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

TruemansMom
on 7/23/14 1:45 am
VSG on 06/24/13

Please remember drink lots of water so you don't get dehydrated- at two weeks out that hit me really hard and was absolutely no fun!

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

G5x5
on 7/23/14 5:38 am - VA

If the question is about "liquidy bowel movements", that's perfectly normal at this point.  It's definately a liquid in liquid out scenario.  It could also be that certain protein shakes aren't sitting with you well.  Perhaps even a lactose intorerance issue.

If the question is about "recurring 10-12 times a day", that isn't really normal.  Although, if you're having some of the stomach settling issues that could cause issues.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

mukhtarhindi
on 7/23/14 6:14 am
VSG on 07/18/14

Actually, at this point there are no protein shakes for me. Only juices/water/broth as per surgeon's instructions.

As for the question's point it is 12 times a day thats troubling I realize the whole liquids in liquids out thing.

Thanks,

Mukhtar

jlgordo
on 7/23/14 6:04 am

I had severe diarrhea but it was from skim milk and whey protein from the protein shakes, so I had to switch to Unjury strawberry and I mix it with Crystal light Pink lemonade, for some reason my body does not like skim milk, not even the sugar free fudgesicles that we are allowed to have during the pure liquids stage! I hope this helps. 

mukhtarhindi
on 7/23/14 6:15 am
VSG on 07/18/14

That seems to be it. I quit the yogurt and the milk and its starting to clear up.

50shadesofsleeve
on 7/23/14 8:00 am

I had same problem and it started in the hospital! I read everywhere I would be backed up but NO. My daughter who is a nurse and had same surgery said it can be from the meds. It stopped after about a week but I wasn't expecting it!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views