6 days post op

luvmygrls85
on 7/24/14 3:08 am - North Prince George , VA

Ok so it's been six days and I'm struggling with protein intake. Also today every thing I sip my stomach cramps and it's very discomforting. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions on getting the protein in?

husbandfatherandfrien
d14

on 7/24/14 3:16 am, edited 7/24/14 3:17 am

My guess is you are going to get a lot of responses to this one because each of us has our own best practices.  For myself, I really found my niche with Premier Protein Drinks. An 11oz drink box has 30 grams of protein.  So, I had one for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and that was 90 grams of protein.  I then had a Proti soup packet with 15 grams of protein.  Taste wasn't particularly good but it wasnt horrible either.  As a rather thick built ex athelete my Dr. wanted me over 100 grams everyday.  So, I would say 80 percent of the time I hit 100 grams.  There were days where I just couldnt take another protein drink.  I know others also have ways that they do it and have been successful but with having a baby (my wife had him, I just try to do as much as I can to be an equal partner parent I should say), a 50 hour a week job, and all that jazz, this was what has worked best for me so far.

March 2014 (366lbs) - May 29 2014 surgery date VSG (350lbs) - June 9 2014 (329lbs)

Gwen M.
on 7/24/14 4:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you tried different temperatures of liquids?  At this point, it's more important to focus on getting your liquids in than it is to get your proteins in.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

luvmygrls85
on 7/24/14 1:20 pm - North Prince George , VA

Yes warmer liquids are my favorite right now ...broth of all kinds seems to be the only thing I enjoy. I did do really well Wil raspberry crystal light ice cold but no other cold drinks agree with me...this is a interesting balancing act for sure.  Thanks for the tips.

Dreamingofbeaches
on 7/24/14 4:44 am
with

My doctor told me not to fret about protein intake until after the first month.  He said you won't have any problems with a lower protein intake for that amount of time and it is more important to concentrate on liquids at first.  Regarding the cramping, I had that also.  The doctor suggested that it is likely drinking too fast or air going down.  The air goes down and fights with the liquid to get back up past it, in your new tiny tummy.  I reverted to TINY sips and the cramping/stomach flipping stopped almost completely.  Now at 24 days post op I can drink pretty regular and am just aware if my tummy starts to do that I am probably getting too much and air am more careful.  Best wishes!

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

luvmygrls85
on 7/24/14 1:23 pm - North Prince George , VA

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! You were exactly right as soon as I slowed down more it eased up. I had to so that test where you drink the fluids yesterday and the require you to drink out of a straw and I thinks that's where the problem started. Really appreciate the tips :-)

greensleeved
on 7/24/14 5:51 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

I didn't even start with protein until week 2, so as long as you get your fluids in you are probably fine. Warmer liquids seemed to be better for me in the beginning, and tiny TINY sips too. You'll do great. Pretty soon you'll be over the hardest part.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

aprilcsh
on 7/24/14 2:15 pm

I also am 6 days post op and am experiencing the same problem. I'm going to try the suggestions I read and see if that helps.

Most Active