Horizon BCBS of NJ and Sleeve Gastrectomy

starbase89
on 7/24/14 3:54 am - Jackson, NJ

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how get going on a gastric sleeve operation. I called my insurances and they said that the do not cover the procedure, but I have read online of people who were able to gt it despite BCBS not covering it. Any idea how this works?

Thanks

Joe

Lemily
on 7/24/14 5:51 am
VSG on 01/16/14

People can pay for the surgery themselves if their insurance does not cover it. I have horizon BC/BS and had the surgery back in January. I guess it differs upon the individual plan terms and conditions, however whether or not they cover it.

Have you gone for a consult yet with a doctor? Sometimes they call people and get more precise insurance information. I had to go through several steps and meet certain conditions for them to cover it, but finally they did cover it.

pharmagirl_45
on 7/24/14 8:53 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with
Does your company have the rider coverage for WLS? Some companies don't pay for the additional coverage.

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

Nmmsg
on 7/24/14 8:55 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

Joe-

Coverage depends on what was purchased by your employer.  My VSG was covered by Horizon BS of NJ.  My doctor was a participating doctor and I had very little out of pocket.  Call yiur insurance.  There is a number on the back of the card for member services.  See what is covered.  Good luck.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Cat B.
on 7/26/14 11:42 pm

I have the same insurance and they cover WLS at 100% if you're in network, 80% if you go out of network. The requirements weren't tough to meet either. Some companies make you wait 6-12 months but I had surgery less than 3 months after my initial consultation. Most of the requirements I had to complete were imposed by my doctor's program. My doctor has someone on staff whose job it is to liaise with insurance and break the numbers down, so I would recommend finding a practice with someone like that. Insurance makes no sense to me, so I was very happy to have someone else worrying about the logistics.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views