Having trouble already

lovingme9908
on 8/1/14 12:20 pm
VSG on 10/06/14

So. I've been trying to follow the diet my doctor put me on, and I'm finding it very hard. I have so many bad habits and I don't even realize I'm doing it until after I'm doing it.  For example, I always take my dinner to my room and kick my feet up and watch T.V as I eat. I have to focus on eating in the dining room with everyone else while engaging in conversation.  Thank God, I have two months to work on this because I'm not doing very well........

trinoc
on 8/1/14 1:23 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Whatever changes you can make, before, will be great.  But don't kick yourself over how hard it is.  It WILL be so much more doable after.  If we could all make all of these changes on our own then surgery wouldn't even be necessary.  So work on mindfulness and developing good habits but don't feel badly when you're not as perfect as you wish.  It will happen afterward.  You'll be amazed.

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

Gwen M.
on 8/2/14 2:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It is hard!  It's hard to retrain ourselves after years (or decades) of bad habits.  Remember, those habits didn't change overnight, and they won't change overnight now either.  Just be kind and patient with yourself.  You'll get where you want to be :D  And it's not a race!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Capegin
on 8/2/14 3:17 am

I hear you... I had trouble with that, too.  The best thing you can do is take it one meal/snack at a time.  Also, have you ever heard of My Fitness Pal?  It's a great app/website that lets you track your food intake.  Even if you don't really care about tracking the calories now, having a place to jot down a log of what you're eating can be helpful.  I know that in past attempts, that always forced me to make better choices because I held myself accountable.  Also, it seems like you live with family or friends?  Reach out to them!  Talk to them about your triggers and goals.  They may be able to help you out and try to make things a bit easier for you.  

MsShawna
on 8/2/14 6:36 am - OH
Revision on 05/01/17

Hi lovingme9908 I am 3 weeks post-op and I have yet to getting use to my new lifestyle. Its a process and you will get use to it .

mzfree
on 8/2/14 8:01 am - Chicago, IL
with

Hang in their chick , your doing great keep in mind  your doing this for your well being dont beat yourself up one day at a time suga u pray for me ill pray for u

He is my help 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/2/14 8:45 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I think it's great you are working on your food habits now rather than waiting to do it while recovering from surgery.  Concentrate on what you are doing right!  Sounds like you have the makings of a real success to me!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

jobe05
on 8/2/14 9:04 am

Don't try to change all those bad habits right now.  Take one bad habit and work on it for a couple of days, then add another, a few days later, another.  Over time, you can find that correcting these bad habits are easier than you think.  I too started a couple months out, cutting out Soda's, a week later cutting out eating anything white.......  THat was hard!  I am a big Pasta eater so we let that stay for a couple more weeks, but then we switched to Whole Wheat Pasta. That was horrible so we just cut out the Pasta......  (Sad day that was).....  The final straw, among many, was coffee........  I was a 2 pot a day.  During those other habit control weeks, I would cut down, and cut down, and cut down till I got to 2 cups a day, then we switched to 50/50 decafe regular,  so when I had to stop totally last week, I was ready for it........  Don't like it!  But I can do it!

J B
on 8/2/14 10:38 pm

Lovingme - it's definitely hard.. some nights, I was just frustrated, and wondered "Why do I have to do all this prep?"  Now, I get it.  It's both to get your body ready and to get your mind ready, too.  You'll be surprised that once you get in the habit of looking at your food portions, balancing your plate, getting enough protein, etc, you'll find new ways to make your food more interesting and you'll start to enjoy eating much more than you used to and for the RIGHT reasons.  It won't be the kind of mindless eating we all did before.  Trust me, the change happens - it takes a little while, but it happens.  You start to care more about you and what you're doing for your body, and then it starts to make sense.  I don't know if that helps, but if anything, I know your situation and really feel for you.  It'll get better very soon :-)

Gastric Sleeve on 14 July 2014.  Highest weight: 311, Pre-surgery weight 300, Current weight 210.

Most Active