Any Band to Sleevers on here tonight?

claricey
on 8/9/14 12:32 pm

I am 10 days out from revision of the lapband to the sleeve and I can't wait!  I was hoping to hear of any experiences (good or bad) that folks have had and maybe some tips if you'd like to share.  I started the two week pre-op liquid liver shrinking diet this past week which allows one very small meal per day and 3-4 protein shakes (Bariatric Fusion) 

Glad to be back on this board!

Take care!

Jaime P.
on 8/9/14 1:11 pm
VSG on 07/22/14

I am a band to sleever - I had 3 lap bands due to complications over the years. Just a little note that surgery may take longer for you than most VSG patients. I had alot of issues they found during surgery you may not have including lots of scar tissue all around the band closing my stomach, the beginning stages of erosion, my stomach folded over and tissue growing like cobwebs holding it that way. Please don't let this scare you. Per my doctor, the surgery went off without a hitch and he was able to fix all the issues from the band and completed the VSG. It's just taking me a little longer to heal than most VSG'ers. I will be 3 weeks out on Tues and still and not back to work yet (I go Weds) and have pain in my stomach if I sit too long. So just be prepared that not everyone is the same and you may take just a bit longer to heal if the band caused any damage. Good Luck! 

Instagram

32 y/o female 5'2"; HW 260; GW 140; SW 245.8; CW 233; BMI 43.6

claricey
on 8/10/14 12:26 pm

Thank you!  I'm very glad to hear about all possibilities so it didn't scare me. I feel armed with knowledge and I really thank you for sharing!  

atia
on 8/9/14 5:07 pm - parma, OH
VSG on 04/10/13

Hi there,

Im band to sleeve!  I had the band for 10 yrs when it started acting funky...even unfilled it nolonger cooperated and I had aspirating pneumonia several times over the last 3mos with my band.

I was sleeved almost 16mos ago and I honestly couldn't be happier!! People told me revisions lose slower blah blah.  The only issue we have is additional swelling from band removal, scar tissue etc.  I had a more difficult time getting fluids in, staying the different post surgery food stages longer.  Other than that surgery was fine.

Just take your time, go slowly with each step, each phase.  Don't let it bother you if you read someone who had surgery same day as you can drink 64oz or eat this or that...just do you and your surgeons plan.  If you encounter issues, call your surgeon. 

I know its easier said than done but try and relax...Get ready for the journey of your life and a grand one at that.

tia...sleeved april 10, 2013 @350lbs.  Today, 154 and losing:-).

claricey
on 8/10/14 12:30 pm

I will be so happy to get rid of the band too. After all of the vomiting I expect them to find "something" once they get in there. 

I am fully committed and will be patient as I know this will be different than the band surgery. 

Thanks for sharing!  

roseygirl
on 8/10/14 2:46 am

I had band removed in 2012 and was so unhappy I told the surgeon I'm going to lose this weight myself and eff wls! Having hated the band, felt like a failure, tired of making excuses about being a "slow eater" when out with friends, not making it to the bathroom in time to puke, gas pains and more I was bitter! I'm calmed down enough now and haven't been able to do it on my own so ready for the sleeve!

claricey
on 8/10/14 12:32 pm

I had similar experiences with trying to find a "good" place to get rid of the stuck food. 

Im glad you can now be excited for the sleeve. I really feel this is the right option for me. 

Thanks for sharing!

edelu
on 8/10/14 3:43 am - los angeles, CA

I had the revision 3 years ago.  I loved my band and lost well with it but it failed on me.  The VSG  is a much more elegant surgery in that you have smaller anatomy to fill but you're not choking half the time.   I did lose slower.  a lot slower.  Being fully compliant with the 600-800 calorie  30 carb plan i lost 70lb in 2 years.  My observation from around these boards is those who lost well with the band lose slower with the VSG mostly because you can eat so little ****pt mine tight) that your metabolism takes a hit.  I've seen people here who lost 20-30lbs on their band and they do fine with loss on the VSG.

Because my band had failed my doctor unfilled it 2 months before the surgery and i gained forty pound.  So that was the weight i had to lose all over again but i had the removal and vsg in one surgery and like i said it is much easier to live with.

Good luck on your journey and just know however long it's taking you will got there if your compliant. 

claricey
on 8/10/14 12:36 pm

Thanks so much for sharing !  I am committed and happy to finally be getting the correct tool for me. 

I had my band unfilled in May so I understand how easily the weight comes back on. 

TEASPEC
on 8/10/14 4:30 am

Hi Claricey,

I will also be getting a revision from the band to gastric sleeve. I do not have a date yet it i am thinking sometime between Nov to Feb due to work obligations. Would love to hear all about the process. Who is your doctor?

Well, good luck and  I hope to hear all good things when you are post op.

Teaspec

Most Active