Pre-Op: obsessively worrying about the unknown

angel22_99
on 8/20/14 12:51 pm

These fears have been festering in me for weeks now and I need to release them for good.  First and foremost, is it really possible to have this surgery and not loose any weight at all?  I got this idea from that show My 600lb life where that one girl, Penny, actually had a gain of 5 lbs after her surgery.  Is this real or just made for TV?  I really need to know, I have been reading her personal facebook page like a crazy stalker just to try to figure it out (I am leaning towards TLC completely fabricating it, which if that's true, I'm going to boycott them because that's a crappy thing to do to a person).

My surgery is scheduled for Sept 16th and I tell you, I have been through some crap in my life, but I have never EVER had anxiety like this before...the obsession with that stupid show is just the tip of the iceberg!  I have a TERRIBLE history with diets so my main worry is that I won't lose any weight, that I won't be able to go back to work in two weeks, I'm worried about paying my deductible/coinsurance, I'm worried that when I go back to work I will be puking all the time, I'm worried that insurance will change it's mind and I'll get a $20k bill in the mail (I reread the acceptance letter just a few minutes ago just to be sure), I'm worried that I will not be able to stick on the liquid diet and my liver will be too big, I'm worried that I'm going to be hungry all the time, I'm worried they will find something wrong with me during the surgery and not be able to do the operation....OK, should I be worried that they will take away my psych clearance now?  LOL I'm sorry to be so negative, but has anyone gone through this feeling or am I really losing my mind?  

Amy M.
on 8/20/14 12:58 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

You're not alone. It's normal to have these fears before going into surgery. Just remember that you are doing this for your health!  Btw the only reason the scale shows a weight gain right after surgery is because of the IV fluids and swelling. That all comes off within the first week. Just tell yourself that you can do this and stay positive. You've come this far already. You can do it! 

FindingMyWeigh
on 8/20/14 1:11 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Well, first off, this is NOT what I would term a diet. It's a lifestyle. After surgery you new tiny tummy will be extremely small and you will simply not be able to eat enough to gain weight. I did see the 600lb Penny show you referenced and I'm here to tell you, that Penny set herself up for failure and worked very hard to do so. Just my 2 cents, but her psychological problems were more pressing than her weight problems. If you are worried about keeping your head in the new lifestyle you have chose, then I suggest you get a book by Dr. Judith Beck titled " The Beck Diet Solution". It utilizes cognitive therapy to get you to stop and think before you put something in your mouth you know is not on the path you have chosen. 

I personally have not puked once since surgery. I have heard of others who did not tolerate the anesthesia well, and that is definitely a question your surgeon will need to answer for you pre-op. Will you get a 20k bill?  No. You've already stated that you have met the requirements of your insurance carrier, so that's a red herring worry.  If you are following your pre-op diet, your liver will shrink. If you refuse to follow the pre-op diet then it makes your surgeons job that much harder and you have jumped through so many hoops to get this surgery paid for that it would be self sabotaging. Only you can answer why you would want to do that. Would the surgeon open you up and close you up if you didn't follow the pre-op diet? It depends on the surgeon. This is major surgery, not some minor annoyance and no surgeon wants to nick your liver with a patient that can't be bothered. The risk is up to you..would it be worth it? I think not. 

Stop worrying! It serves no purpose except to steal your peace at a time you should be reflecting on saying goodbye to the old you and saying hello to the new and healthier you. Recovery is different for everyone, make sure you have someone to help out the first week and gets lots of rest and hydrate. This is a safe surgery and if you vetted your surgeon and are satisfied with their success rates and lack of leaks then there is no reason to fear it 

Peace be with you

Colleen

Rachael R.
on 8/20/14 7:21 pm - CA

You literally brought tears to my eyes and I am going to print out what you wrote and tape it to my mirror for daily reassurance and encouragement! THANK YOU!

Rachael R. 

27F 5'3" High weight: 345 | Consult weight: 332 | Current weight: 331

Rez_123
on 8/20/14 1:16 pm

You may think you're losing your mind, but I think your anxiety is really common for a lot of people.  So you're totally normal!  And I'm pretty sure we all had a terrible history with diets, otherwise none of us would be here.  I watched that same episode of 600lb Life and I was completely flabbergasted at her lack of weight loss, although if memory serves she basically wasn't following any of the surgeon's instructions whatsoever.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was some crafty editing going on however... I literally have no clue how you wouldn't lose weight at least in the first couple months, just due to the fact that it's really hard to eat any more than several ounces at a time! 

I'm just over 7 weeks out from surgery and I'm thankful every day that I took this step.  Good luck, and you got this! 

VSG on July 1, 2014.  High Weight: 351 Consult Weight: 338 Surgery Weight: 325  Current Weight: 175

6 Month Pre-op: -13 M1: -27 M2: -14 M3: -23 M4: -14 M5: -20 M6: -10 M7: -14 M8: -8 M9: -3 M10: -7 M11: -1 M12:-0 M13:-0 M14:-8

Total Weight Loss: 163lbs

joshcoop
on 8/20/14 11:29 pm - Blaine, MN
VSG on 04/22/14

I think everyone has all those natural worries prior to surgery. I was scared to death and thought "this will not work for me" due to my CLOSE relationship to food. Here I am, 4 months post-op and I am down 89lbs! It works and you will not be an exception to the rule! Stay strong and positive and try not to let your mind sway to the "dark side" and get the best of you. Remember - this is not a diet, it's a life change!!!!! You will be so happy you did it...PROMISE! 

Highest Weight = 321lb, Start Weight = 302lb, CW (as of 05/03/15) = 192lb, Total Loss (since SW) = 110lbs

*Follow my journey:*

http://vsgjosh.blogspot.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjmVwwSwz1B8d4EBCfWG3ww

Kelly Jean
on 8/20/14 11:57 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

Remember the reason we all are here is because we failed at diets!!! I've tried a ton !!! And failed at all... In one way or another ... some of them I've lost  and then gained it all back plus extra !!! 

Everyone is worried about the out come of this sleeve!!! And watching penny sure didn't help!!! But look at this forum and the before and afters! !! You want a new life you can and will get it!!! I was scared to death also... I started 4 months ago at 242 lbs and I've lost 86 lbs went from a size 18 to a 6 !!! I can assure you this sleeve works .... let it work for you ... you will be amazed both physically and mentally with the transformation you will under go.... follow your Dr's rules... This tool will help you to achieve your life long dreams !!! You got this!!! Now go for it!!! :-)

Best of luck to you on Sept 16th ... it will be the 1st day of the BEST of your life !!!

♡ Kelly

ElizaM
on 8/21/14 12:06 am
VSG on 07/24/14

This is SO normal! I was terrified before surgery. My xanax consumption definitely went up. Just remember that you're a capable, resourceful person who can cope with anything life throws at you. I can't say for sure that nothing bad will ever happen, but I can say that you will be able to deal with it! Not only that, but you're not alone: you have a support network in your surgeon's office and you have us! Try to remember to save your distress for IF things actually go wrong. Meanwhile, you're not losing your mind. You're totally normal. :)

Hang in there!

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Colleen O.
on 8/21/14 12:21 am
VSG on 04/09/14

As others have said, worrying about something so major is normal.  I would gently suggest trying to get into therapy.  I have found that my therapist doesn't take away my worries but he has given me some great ideas for coping mechanisms.  I leave his office feeling empowered and that's the best defense against worry/anxiety.

The surgery is a wonderful tool and if you follow your plan you will not gain in the way that Penny gained.  Did you see the parts of the show where she was eating portions that were too big and deep frying her food and where she pretty much just refused to exercise at all?  She made bad decisions.  Was there some creative editing?  Quite possibly but it was extremely obvious that she has problems that need to be addressed by means other than surgery.  If you are diligent and stick to your surgeon's plan, you will be the success that Penny SHOULD have been.

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

Eggface
on 8/21/14 1:09 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Awww you are normal BTW. I remember a lot of what you are feeling. I would just say FEAR is not all bad. It keeps my head in the game... it makes me resolved to my lifestyle changes. Unrealistic/paralyzing fears are not... so if they get out of hand you know chat with someone. Complication rates like not losing weight (I'm guessing mechanical failure of the surgery) are super slim. You do sometimes gain after surgery immediately (I came out heavier fluids, but it was gone within the week) 

Oh and I just pinned this yesterday I think it's fitting ;) http://www.pinterest.com/pin/246642517067935199/

Best wishes being sent your way! ~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active